Does anyone know the law concerning the validity of a will?

Our Grandma had quite the estate to leave and had made her will. She also thought she was going to live forever it seems because for so long I remember her saying she had changes to make that she left until she was very feeble and needing to be in a long term care facility and then needed her attorney to come to her to finalize the changes she wanted made. Our cousin noted the changes but Grandma's calls to the attorney produced no attorney and she died leaving the will with the noted changes but without whatever it is the attorney is suppose to do to it. Theres at least 4 people that though were not aware of the specific changes were aware she made changes and this cousin is supposedly in possession of this will that she says is null and void. Is it? Is there any chance that if brought to light can this will be called a valid will? She tried to contact the attorney who seemed to be purposely ignoring her. There are, like I said, at least 4 people very aware she wanted these changes to be made. And she had a completely sound mind.

Favorite Answer

A signed scrap of paper can make a legitimate last will and testament. The real issue here is if someone in your family decides to argue and get an attorney. It's really unfortunate that family members would argue that notes she made aren't valid just because it wasn't official enough. I personally think these issues should just be sorted out amoungst family members.

If your cousin is a beneficiary of the will and the changes are in their handwritten and not your grandmothers and there were no other witnesses then I doubt any court would see the changes as valid.