Can i use wheat flour instead of bread flour?

I'm baking white bread.

@ Dave C: hmm i have no idea, probably its all purpose flour, because it's just simple white flour...

• Dave C
    Favorite Answer

Bread flour is a wheat flour.

Are you meaning whole wheat (whole meal) flour instead of white flour?

Generally, when using whole wheat flour, you want to substitute 1/4 (up to 1/2) of the bread flour with whole wheat. If you replace all the bread flour with whole wheat, you'll end up with a very dense bread.

OR...

Are you asking can you use all purpose flour for bread flour?

Depends upon the type of bread, but in general, you can use all purpose flour (also knowns as plain flour) for bread flour.

if you are baking white bread and use wheat flour you are going to have wheat in it so technically it wont be white bread. For white bread, bread flour would be the best choice but if your only choice in the wheat flour it won't be too bad because you don't have the actual whole grains in it.

go ahead and try it! I don't think it will make a major difference.

Source(s): I make bread a lot.

If you use just wheat flour it will be a very heavy loaf. For better results use half wheat and half all purpose.