Have you ever heard of "loose hub bearings"?

My steering wheel wiggles a lot and my car won't steer straight. I drive a 1998 Buick LeSabre. It belonged to my late-mother, so I have a sentimental attachment to it, even though it is a POS. Anyway, the mechanic said I had "loose hub bearings" and that it would cost $572 to fix!!! Is that a legitimate problem and does that cost sound high (I live in Dallas, TX)? My car has close to 100,000 and is old and tired and the AC is giving out. Thanks.

• Kenny
    Favorite Answer

Get a second second opinion from another mechanic. A "loose hub bearing" I would think is a broken wheel bearing, which means a grinding sound at the wheel.

Well - - - - I am "old and tired" too and - - - I probably have a few screws loose.

There are a number of other things to check first.

If it "wiggles" all the time - have a tire/brake shop check for a bent wheel, a tire with a bad casing or a tire tread coming loose? They can do this with a "radial/lateral run out". This is where they raise each wheel off the ground and check to see if it wiggles sideways or up and down more than is should. This would also uncover a bad/loose bearing.

If it does it only when you step on the brake then they can check for a warped brake rotor or if it has hot spots, a sticking caliper piston or slider and if it should - then they can turn the rotor or replace it and repair or replaced the caliper. If the brake pads are still good they do not HAVE to be replaced but, if you prefer to keep the vehicle for a while - the additional cost is not that great.

Source(s): 10 year State Patrol Motorist Assist volunteer.