Chivalry in the 21st Century: Antiquated or Still Appreciated?

Today, as I was commuting via train to work and as the train went from station to station, the train became crowded. While I was sitting, a woman stood next to me while the train was in motion. I could not in good conscience allow her to stand while I sat, so i gave up my seat. She politely thanked me and sat down. Then i percieved several looks from approvement to "whatever" type of non-verbal gestures from those around me. Regardless, I chose to do this and felt real good. Fellow readers, answer the subject question.

Favorite Answer

The answer from "The Man" is so sexist it makes me sick, moaning and whining and making generalizations....shut up.

Anyway, in answer to you question, it is still appreciated by me but I can't speak for other people so I don't know what they think.

I like it when a man is like this but not all people do and some of my friends think it's very old fashioned when my boyfriend does anything like that but I appreciate it and I respect him for it.

I probably would have insisted you not stand up so I could sit down. I would have thought that it was nice of you to offer. Had you insisted me sit, I would have taken the seat as to not appear unappreciative of the gesture. The only person I want to be considerate in that way of me, is my husband and I would totally reciprocate that to him.

I definitely do not like or appreciate when a man thinks I should not be driving or going to certain areas simply because I am a woman. I understand the risks of driving in bad weather and going to the hood and because I chose to do so for whatever reason, does not make me stupid and I don't need someone to help me in that. I know some women who are too scared to drive and their husbands drive them anywhere and I think that is weak, therefore I do not do that. I don't expect a man to pump my gas, open the door, pay for my dinner or anything like that. I hope when a person is courteous it is because they are being kind, not because I am a woman. Sometimes I want to pay, pump someone else's gas and open the door for another and not because of any reason other than I want to be courteous and kind. It has nothing to do with gender. When I stand in line at the grocery store with my 4 kids and my huge cart of food, I don't care who gets behind me, if they only have a few items, I insist they go ahead!

My best friend, a female, is one of the more difficult types to accept chivalry. I open and hold doors for anyone, not just women. When I do this for her, most of the time she will just stand there waiting for me to go through first. It's just one example, but you almost have to force it upon her.

So I'd say that it really depends on the person. A lot of women wrongly expect men to do this. And there are also a lot of women that look negatively on men for doing this...more so with feminists. So I guess you just have to try it a few times and if they don't appreciate it, then don't bother with it.

It has definitely become less important. However, it does set you apart from most guys (in a good way), and it makes you feel good, so I don't see anything wrong with it. : ) Being nice to others is never a bad thing. Think of chivalry as being vintage, old but still cool.

Chivalry these days just refers to normal courtesy and politeness.

In that sense, chivalry is still appreciated by civilized men and women who don't have issues distinguishing a seat in a train from a pedestal.

Others can remain standing.

It is still very appreciated by some. It can be a little old fashioned but in a good way!

Care has to be taken that the men aren't taken advantage of as it should be a mutual exchange of good manners not a person thinking that they are entitled to special treatment automatically without even giving thanks.

xxx

xx

x

This is why you drive to work, so you don't get into these situations and have to worry about it.

I find it hard to believe there are people, at least women, who don't like chivalry. I'm always being told to be more of a gentleman. Where are all these women who'd get offended by me being chivalrous?

• Dubs

I don't believe in benevolent sexism. Manners and courtesy are different, chivalry is an expectation of decorum I don't subscribe to.

Chivalry is dead because the age of women doing things for their man - is dead. Besides, women have NO business talking about chivarly like they have a clue what the word even means - and neither do you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiM89ih-ffU

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQC6UkW3eek

Youtube thumbnail

Recently a woman accused me of being "chivalrous" too.

And as a man, when I’m accused of something, I think about what that something is before running my mouth. Since a woman accused me of being it, I chose to define “chivalry” in terms that a woman could understand.

The only reason I held the door open for this woman, is because I thought she was going to walk right into it and give herself a big nasty bump on the head... and we can't have that.

I don't like bruised peaches either - and that's not "chivalry".

Women don't seem to be able to open anything correctly without a man's help.

A jam jar ..... a conversation ..... potato chips...... nail polish...... their legs.

So why would a DOOR be any different??

So ladies, please don't call me chilvarous just because I don't like a woman to hurt herself. Persistence, alcohol, and making sure your woman isn’t banging into any doors has worked since the beginning of time.

"CHIVARLY" --->> is when some poor shmuck has to put on his suit of armor and make sure his slutty girlfriend isn't whoring herself out for more male attention on Match.com / MySpace / Facebook or any other dating websites.

It depends.

There are also traditional men and women in 21st Century.