Dragongirl asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Breeding dogs for working stock...?

i have a pure of breed, 1 year old male cattle dog he is a reg. dog and will be shown as well as trialed, He is an amazing working dog. He has not yet had his hips/eyes/ears tested. But ive had a few people who own bitches ask to use him as stud. However, the bitched here are small, shy dogs. A cattle dog should have that kind of temperment, nor should they be 20-25lbs. The colors and coats also are not correct. However, the dogs are excelant workers. They are not reg. They are just farmer dogs that work the local pfra pastures, etc. Im wondering if i should stud him for good working dogs, even if the bitches arent reg, or comformationaly correct? thanks

I can have his eyes and ears checked now right? Hips i gotta wait till he is 2?

The breeder i bought him from the parents are champions, but the breeder did not want to keep in touch about her puppies.I have emailed her. no answers

Yes my dog has done trialing already. 2 trials as well as 14 brandings and bi-daily pfra checks,

Well, when it comes to Border Collies there's a BIG debate between working dogs and show dogs. It all depends on what you are trying to promote. Check and see if the females have done any type of trial work and make sure they have had eyes and hips cleared.

Since you haven't done any trial work yet or had any test done I would hold off. Wait and see if your dog is good at trial and make sure his eyes and hips are good.

No matter if you are breeding for work or for looks you should never breed before the proper test are done.

If a dog is a true working dog they will have the instinct and temperament to prove it. AKC conformation has nothing to do with how well a working dog was breed other then the fact that it was breed for looks. Some of the best trial dogs are smaller then the AKC conformation stats. The also have a bit of a different temperament. Coat color has nothing to do with how well a dog will work. The only problem with coat color in some stock dogs is the deafness or blindness in Merle to Merle breedings and as far as I know there are no Merle ACD's

Now if you are breeding to show a dog and for AKC conformation then best bet is to find a ***** that has been show, had a show background ect.

If you want to see first hand the whole BC debate just do a search for ABCA vs AKC

EDIT:

Since your guy has done trial work I would have the genetic tests done . I know everyone is talking about CERF but that CAN NOT detect if your dog is a PRCD carrier. You would need DNA test to determine this since it is a recessive gene (just like CEA in BC's) That can be done at anytime or if you can get in touch with his breeders you can see if the Parents were ever tested. As long as one parent dog was PRCD cleared then your pup is cleared as well. You would need two recessive genes in order to produce a puppy that has PRCD.

Also working ACD's are supposed to be reserved when meeting strangers as well as cautious in new situations.. How are they supposed to protect the herd/flock or master if they are going around being friendly to everyone they meet.

Now if the females in question shy away from you or run away then I would say thats a serious fault..

I don't know why I was rated down. Breeding for "conformation" is not always in the best interest in a working dog....

If you want to know the "standard" for a working ACD read:

http://www.australiancattledog.com/Working_Standar...

This was developed by the ACDCA

Coat color has nothing to do with it...

Source(s): Raise trial BC's, Active member of ABCA and ISDN (International Sheep Dog Society) http://www.australiancattledog.com/Working_Standar...

I'd say no.

"Coats and colors" not being correct wouldn't pose a huge problem, as long as the color mistakes don't have any genetic issues attached (for example, white ears/eyes on Aussies).

However, the proper temperament, especially in ACDs, exists for a reason, does it not? These dogs may be excellent workers, but unless they've got the proper temperament for the breed, they are hardly the best of the best when it comes to working cattle...that part of the standard is very important.

If they have other conformational problems as well, it could affect their structure and working ability later on in life. Have they been tested for anything?

Of course you need to wait until YOUR dog has been tested for breeding, but I wouldn't breed to these dogs. It's entirely up to you--however, what the farmers could end up with as far as good dogs is a crapshoot since the dogs they already have aren't even what they should be in terms of the breed.

• ?

Actually, the national breed club wants a CERF done after the second birthday, as well as the hips and elbows. The BAER can be done at any time.

It's a tough decision about whether to allow your dog to father litters out of mediocre b****es. It's not so much that they are poor physical examples of the breed, but you have no idea if you'll be contributing to more dumped dogs. The farmers aren't going to keep the entire litter, so what happens to those which don't make the cut? Also, those owners aren't going to invest in any health testing. I can see the positive point of improving the quality of working dogs in your area, but at what cost to the excess pups? And, will you be able to say with any sense of pride that you helped create one of those slinking, dogs working in the fields?

even tho they are good working dogs, they dont have a proper temperment for the breed. I would not do it. There are good working females out there that do have the proper size and temperment.

Definitely not. If your male has not had health clearances he should not be bred.