Crazy question for black women?

I have some white friends that say it's easier for them to approach a black woman with straight hair than if she wore her hair natural. For some reason they feel natural hair = militant black.

But for me it's been the opposite, black women with 'fros or locs seem to be the sweetest ppl.

What say you?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

People equate our natural hair with "militance" because it's basically us saying outright: We like who we are. We don't want to be like you. I suppose some people are offended when we're not trying to be like them.

I find that black women with afros and locs tend to be more easy to get along with in my experience. I'm thinking it's because they're more happy with who they are and more happy in general than people who are constantly changing a part of themselves (regardless of race). I've never met a "militant black woman" before. I've met socially-conscious women, whom I suppose some might consider to be "militant."

• 4 years ago

True, I'm black but I think it is said due to personality traits. Also, sometimes bw style sways more toward the masculine at times. It was not always like that, because I grew up around black women in the 80s. I remember black women looking and being feminine. You would have never caught them coming out looking the way they do in this generation. I remember they were a lot classier too with everything. I don't know what happened over the years but they have changed a lot.

• 1 decade ago

I wear my hair natural; not in an afro or anything, in french braids or in a ponytail usually. I feel that some people who straighten their hair, get weaves, etc. are trying to be something their not... a.k.a. white. If you are a black person, what's wrong with having hair like one?

• 1 decade ago

I thought really afros were out of style. Most of my gfs have straightened hair. I don't feel weird that my hair is naturally straight.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I've heard that stereotype that natural hair = militant or pro black. But like you said, it could also mean more of a hippie/freespirit thing.

• 1 decade ago

it's cause they usually see a Black girls with straight hair and they don't stand out as much

i like natural hair more, it's seems more interesting than perm

most people label things types of people don't usually see: stereotyping of beautiful people, rich people

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its those black girls with perms who u need to be weary of lol.. The ones with natural hair are cool and nicer and the ones with weave are alright too (some are snotty)..

Source(s): im joking, black womans attutiudes aren't determined by their hair style lol..
  • Lemgur
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Hahaha! I've heard that before.

I think there is some confusion on just what our natural hair looks like, though. As it varys.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think the craziness of a black woman isn't determined by their hairstyle...........it's a crackpot theory I know.

White people are more inclined to like natural hair in my experience. They see it as being "exotic", whereas to other black people it's nothing special.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, this type of thinking is Crazy...my hair has never stopped anybody from approaching that I know of....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.