Out of college unable to find a job ?

Well I just graduated college with a General Arts & Science Certificate, and now I'm looking for a full time job. I'm not really sure what want but it's difficult and I can't seem to make much progress. I'm live in Ontario, and the city where I'm from hardly has any jobs available. I looked into the Canadian Forces as an option, however they aren't really in high demand at the moment and the jobs that are available require "technical skills".

I dunno where to look, I was toying with the idea of possibly heading to Uni in January 2011, I feel like my current level of education isn't enough. But in the meantime, 6 months until then I need to find something.

Any ideas ?

I also thought about overseas work, but I'm not sure how that process works. Do you know of any hands on jobs that are in high demand overseas ?

Thanks, I really despise the feeling of not working, being unemployed is enough to drive a man to suicide.

Favorite Answer

im afraid it is a situation faced by many college graduates, i would suggest joining the armed forces as they always expect people, have good benefits, and will teach you all you need to know.

• Ember

I'm in the US, but I definitely feel your pain (and so do almost all of my friends). There aren't a whole lot of jobs overseas that are available unless you've specialized in something, but you can always check. I second the person who said the Peace Corps... you do a 2-year stint, they pay for your living expenses, and you can also get some of your loans forgiven (depending on what type you have).

Hang in there, though. I hate being unemployed, too, but you just have to keep searching. Put in applications everywhere possible, call places back and check on the status of hiring, and use the online career sites available as well. If you are willing to relocate, you've got a better chance at finding something than someone who isn't. I'm locked into one place for the next year and finding a job here has been brutal -- but I may have secured a full-time position after almost two months of nonstop searching.

Just don't give up.

The problem is that you got a certificate that does not qualify you for anything. You will have to go on to a university.

Before the early 20th Century, a college degree was not meant to train a person for a job. A college education was for personal enrichment. To turn you into an educated person with skills in critical thinking to allow you to take up a career in public administration, the clergy or business where you would learn on the job.

There was no intention for a degree to train you for a specific career.

However since the 1940’s the expectation of the public about a college or university degree has changed and a college or university education is now expected to lead you to a career.

Unfortunately the college and university system has not changed with the times.

A degree in Anthropology, Archeology, Art, Art History Creative Writing, Film, General Studies, History, Humanities, Language & Culture, Liberal Arts, Liberal Studies, Literature, Political Science, most any language including English, Media, Music History, Paleontology, Photography, Philosophy, Religious Studies or Sociology is considered a "personal enrichment" degree. Also pretty well anything called “Something Studies”. That is, these degrees are degrees that are meant to enrich you personally in the classical sense of a university education without leading to any specific job.

These degrees sometimes result in a position in academia if you go on to get a PhD though there is an oversupply of PhDs for all the academic jobs that come up in these fields.

However, in today's world where people go to university to enable themselves to get a job and hopefully a career a bachelor's in these fields is essentially useless. With a degree in these fields and a GPA generally over 3.0 you can:

1. Get into law school. However law schools today graduate far more lawyers than there is business for lawyers.

2. Get into graduate school in a different field. Hopefully one without too many prerequisites you do not have. Consider getting a masters in Technology Management. You can make a similar salary to an engineer but you need essentially no sciences prerequisites.

3. Get into graduate school in the same field and eventually into a PhD so you can become a college professor in this field someday. However, there are far more PhD grads in some fields like Philosophy than there ever will be professorships or any kind of teaching programs.

4. Take a teaching qualification, which is usually 2 more years, so you can teach the subject at a public K-12 school.

5. Look for a job in a field where they want you to have a degree without any concern what it is. Where they only want the degree because they want educated people who have proven they can stick with something difficult and see it to completion. Like the insurance industry.

6. If you join the military you are more likely to enter as an officer instead of enlisted personnel.

Do note that if you do go for a more advanced degree, no one cares where you got your bachelor’s degree. Only the school where you got your most advanced degree counts. And that counts for a lot less than the name schools would have you believe.

If your GPA is over 3.0, don’t take a second undergrad degree if you already have one of these degrees. A graduate degree will be more valuable to you.

So, what exactly IS an English major supposed to do after college?

http://www.publicradio.org/columns/prairiehome/pos...

Here is a listing of the average starting and mid-career salaries for most 4 year majors.

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp

The ones with the highest salaries are the ones in the most demand by employers. And the higher they pay, the harder they are. And remember this survey only covers the students who got a job in their field of study. The lower paid the job on this list, the few the number of graduates in a particular major got a job in their field.

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/six_in_demand_...

The Highest Starting Salaries of 2010

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-the_highe...

Going to graduate school is an option. You can get another degree and if you have an assistantship at the college it will pay for the cost of college AND they will pay your hourly for the work you do (20 hours a week).

If you do not want to do more school the only thing I can say is keep looking. It's difficult everywhere to find a job.

Source(s): I went back to school and got a graduate degree. Without it I would not have the job I have now. Also currently working on a doctoral degree and working full time.
  • ?

Join the Peace Corps.