transplanting mature tomato plants?

A lady vacating her rental home today offered me her mature tomato plants, rather than have them die abandoned. These already have many beautiful, still unripe tomatoes on them & are about 6 feet long. They were never caged but rather grew along the ground.

Is there any way to save these plants? I dug them this morning at about 1-1/2' circumference and about a foot underneath. I removed them whole, & now have the roots sitting in water. I figure I'll have to cut the plants way back, but by what guidelines?

I have looked up how to care for tomato transplants, but none of the info is for plants as far along as these.

I am in central Alabama & the date is June 30.

Thanks for any help.

Favorite Answer

Hi zzzzZ,

Have your big pot fill it with a rich soil mix bought from your agriculture store. Before planting your transplant, fill the base with small amount of soil, then put in the transplant and fill with enough soil mix. water a little just to moist the soil, place in a shaded area until the plant recovers from stress. Monitor the plant growth until total recovery. Transfer to a place where there's enough sunlight.

Source(s): From my own experience as a horticulture teacher.

You will have disrupted the roots pretty badly but they will recover if you keep them watered. Expect them to wilt quite a bit. For tomatoes you can plant them deeper than they were originally and the stems will sprout additional roots. I would not trim them back severely. I would just put them into rich soil deeper than they were planted and keep them watered well and see what they do.

they may go into some shock like a plant,but only cut them after the transplant to see how much they die off ,make sure the soil is rich,and water them continually,all depends on the soil,get them out of the waterand into the soil again.