Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Why do stores put fences around thier dumpsters now?

Why do they care about dumpster divers taking stuff if it's thrown out anyway? They should be glad someones taking the stuff and using it rather than letting it clutter up an already overgrown trash dump.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They don't want people stealing their trash.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because many dumpster divers don't respect the owners.

They'll strew the non-profitable garbage across the parking lot while digging through for scrap and valuables, which means the owner then has to pay someone to clean up after the dumpster divers.

Its an example of how bad manners eventually comes back to bite people in the butt.

• Ron
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It may not be people taking things out that they care about, but what they might put in. Many trash collectors charge by weight. I once dumped a bunch of stuff in a dumpster behind a store. They went through it, found my address, and billed me for the extra cost of the stuff I dumped in there.

• 1 decade ago

They are not so much worried about dumpster divers (although that could pose a liability risk if someone gets hurt in there), but they do not want people dumping their own trash in the dumpster as the company does not want to pay for that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • maxmom
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Liability and safety for employees as well as blocking off access to other businesses and the public.

Each business pays for their own dumpster and pick up. You would not believe how many people try to use others dumpsters to save a few bucks.

Some people take trash that will not be picked up by their local garbage collector and put it in business dumpsters.

• 1 decade ago

It's a legal liability.

If someone jumps into their dumpster and gets injured somehow, they'll sue the store.

If the store didn't take reasonable steps, such as a fence, to deter such activity they'd probably lose the case.

With the fence up, they'll not only win the case most of the time, but also be able to counter-sue for court costs.

• Sawyer
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Maybe it's to keep people from dumping their stuff in the dumpsters.

• Some homeless people will sleep in them. Here's one guy who fell asleep in one and got fired into the trash truck.

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=12404857

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You don't want people getting food from there -

they multiply, like stray animals.

It's the humane thing to do to lock the dumpster

and stereilize the poor in America.

You have a special version of 'humane'.

• WRG
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Liability and privacy concerns.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.