What is the advantages & disadvantages of knowing to work on lots of type of software?

Hi friends,

I have done courses on programming, graphic/web designing as well as in animation. I know software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, 3ds max, Maya etc. Also I know programming language like C#.Net,Java,asp.net,jsp, html/css,javascript etc.

Is it cool to have a knowledge on different type of softwares? What is the advantages & disadvantages of knowing to work on lots of software? Is it good to get a best job or not ? Plz tel me in details.

Thanks in advance :)

• Asspen
    Favorite Answer

Advantages: You get to know how something can be done. Actually, you know the right kind of tool and language for the right kind of job. Really great if you are planning to work as a Project Manager or similar job.

Disadvantages: It can be really confusing at times (sometimes, I end of typing C/C++ syntax while working with python and python like syntax when I'm working with PHP) and since you will not have time for each of them, you will not master anything..

Best thing, be jack of all, master of ONE..

You can't know too much. It's not as if your brain has limited capacity for leaning. It's with tools as with languages, the more languages you speak, the easier it becomes to learn another one.

But what inevitably happens is that you don't have the time to get enough experience with each of them and there absolutely is a minimum number of hours of 'effortful study' that you must complete to truly master anything. Think of them as flight hours for a pilot. Some people put that number at 10,000 or about five years, full time. By that time, and after all that hard work, you're probably pretty awesome at what you do. Frankly, for -really- learning Maya in-depth, I'd put the number at 4,000, or two years. But then you still only know the tool, not necessarily the trade. For each new 3D app you learn, I'd estimate you get a 30% discount. So to add XSI to your skill set would cost you another 2,800 hours, and adding Houdini another 1,960 and so on...

• mark

Advantages are that you are diverse in your field

Disadvantages are that you are probably not an expert on any single one of them