? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

My Purple Heart was stolen?

I served in the Pacific theater of World War 2 in 1944-1945. While at the battle of Okinawa I was shot in my left knee by a Japanese sniper. After Okinawa my chain of command granted me my Purple Heart decoration, which I kept as memorabilia for my friend who died in Okinawa.

But last week I went to the hospital for a checkup and when I returned my house had been broken into. Someone broke into my gun safe and stole the Japanese military sword I had found in Okinawa, and they also stole my Purple Heart.

The police officers said they'll do what they can but I highly doubt the local law enforcement. That Purple Heart was one of the most important things I've ever kept, and now it's gone because someone stole it!

Is there anyway that I can apply to receive another one? Or just hope that the local law enforcement will try their best? Thank you very much, and God bless.


Thank you very much to those who helped me, I never knew about the website, so thank you darling!

And I assure you I am not a child, and no I am not 100 you ignorant man!

8 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes, you can get a replacement.

    Contact the Military Order of the Purple Heart: http://www.purpleheart.org/ and they will help you.

    Thank you for your service to our nation. Stay safe!

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes. If you received your Purple Heart long enough ago, then you can get a free replacement. If it was a short time ago or you were not intended to receive it then you may have to pay for a replacement.

    You will most likely receive your replacement completely free if you just ask. At this time I forget who to contact, but if there is anything locally or you belong to anything they can help you with instructions. If you can't get help then just call what you served as ( Army, Navy, Marines) and they should be able to help ( as long as there aren't actors recruiting High School kids).

    There are plenty of people/places you can contact to start up the process.

    Source(s): My Grandfather went through this years ago.
  • D
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    If you are prior military, you can start your request for replacement medals at eVetRecs (link below) which is an official site. They will send you all of your authorized medals, free.

    From the website:


    Request Copies of Military Personnel Records

    Welcome to our online military personnel records request system.

    Use our system to create a customized order form to request information from your, or your relative's, military personnel records. You may use this system if you are:

    A military veteran, or

    Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military

    The next of kin can be any of the following: surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother.

  • Bobbi
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    I am sure some unscrupulous antique/second hand shop will enjoy selling this. Don't forget to also contact local pawn shops, in case they try to pawn the stuff. Also, keep an eye out on eBay for the stuff too. Crooks are dumb.

    Source(s): Hubbie runs a pawn shop. They DO ge t alist of stolen items, and will notify the police if someone comes in with the stuff. But, it is always a good idea to also check them personally and let the stores know. My hubbie has 'bought' back stolen goods (if he knows the victim wants the stuff back, and this is the only way to secure the item before the police arrive) He just charges the victim the price he paid to the crook. This usually gets you your stuff back. and the crook has been ID's and photographed, so the crook will get arrested and charged. (and that sword, just might get $20! crooks don't ask for much!) He said people have found their stuff on eBay. Most bought their stuff 1st, had it shipped with police knowledge.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    You can but purple heart decorations from private manufacturors, or from AAFES.

  • 1 decade ago

    dude that freaking sucks, i wish i found the bastard that did this, id kick him into the ground...

    Source(s): SRG
  • 1 decade ago

    I concur with Ed.

    Impersonating a veteran is low. It may also be illegal.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    If your line of B.S. is true you must be about 100 years old, so therefore I am going to just assume you are nothing but an attention seeking child.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.