How often do people get away with lying on their resume?

I am 19 years old and graduated high school last year. I have only had 3 jobs so far and they have all been crappy. I applied to three scholarships in high school but didn't get any so I didn't go to college. My neighbor is 30 and she has a good job at a company and makes a lot of money. I asked her what she majored in and she told me she didn't even het to graduate high school. She got kicked back in 1997 for hittin the teacher after an argument. 3 years after she got kicked out and worked part time jobs, she went to apply at the company and they told her they were lookin for someone with experience. She just made up a company and said she worked there and they never checked her record. So now I am wondering if I could do the same thing since a lot of jobs now require experience. Have you ever lied on a resume? What is the consequence of being caught? Can you go to jail?

Favorite Answer

Quite a few but I don't know the exact percentage. Almost everybody exaggerates to some extent but I have known a handful whose resumes were complete lies and they got away with it. They get away with it because they were competent and because no one really checked if they were lying. Your question brings to mind the stories about Fred Demara and Frank Abagnale, two of the widely known frauds that got jobs as everything from medical doctors to airline pilots and got away with it. There are probably thousands of others who continue to get away with it. If they made a mistake that aroused suspicion and triggered a check they were usually gone in a few hours. I've also known quite a few people who had fabulous resumes that weren't lies and who didn't have the brains to find their desks in the morning without a map. They were usually gone before the people that lied.

You can go to jail for lying, Fred Demara did, but it's unlikely your employer would press charges because it would be quite embarrassing for them to admit they made a mistake by hiring you in the first place.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am 19 years old and graduated high school last year. I have only had 3 jobs so far and they have all been crappy. I applied to three scholarships in high school but didn't get any so I didn't go to college. My neighbor is 30 and she has a good job at a company and makes a lot of money. I...

Source(s): people lying resume: https://biturl.im/0OCt1

It is very much a bad idea to lie on a resume.

You can get away with it, sure, but it is VERY unlikely. If your employer has any suspision or any reasonable doubt, they can question your data you provided on your resume. They put the little check boxes for a reason a lot of the time that basically say "This information is true, or so help me."... in some cases you can get in legal trouble (depending upon what job you lied about, and what you're doing at the job), in this case, jail time is a possibility, but in most common cases, if they catch you, its usually just grounds for immediate termination.

I would very strongly recommend not lying on a resume.

Good luck.

It happens, unfortunately, rather often. If it is discovered later, it is usually grounds for termination, but is not a criminal offense. But in your case, you probably have no need for a resume. You can TRY to make up a job experience, but your lie might even be discovered in the interview process, when you don't show an understanding that such experience should have given you.

WTF? your neighbor hit a teacher? She's clearly insane and shouldn't be in a job anyway.

As for you, If you get found out lying in your resume, you WILL get fired, which means youll have a **** reference from the place you worked at. Why do you need to lie. All experience is good experience. You just need to know how to manipulate the skills you gained from your last job into something that will benefit your new job. For e.g.. If the last job you had was in retail and you were applying to work in an office you could say how working in retail enabled you to work hard under pressure as well as working flexible hours - all good skills to have in an office. Its hard to get work but if you are found lying on your C.V you will never be taken seriously in applying for a job again.

• sf613

There's a saying and it says something like - that if you don't want the people to know about something then don't do it. Or maybe you prefer to go to work every day with the thought on the back of your mind that your lies might be discovered...

No you can't go to jail but you can get fired even if you've been in the job for 10 years

These things are becoming easier to check out every day. Good luck landing a job by lying! ;-(=

depends on how easy the is to uncover the lie.

if you lie about experience, it will be easy to test you

if you lie about having a certain job in the past - it might be easy to discover your lie

jail? no

get fired after getting hired? yes.

what kind of job do you expect to get with only a HS diploma and no advanced education or job training?

crappy jobs are as good as you are going to get

Most student can be found lying on ther bed.