Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Cleaning my hard wood floors!!??? they are very old. 10 pts best answer?

Ok so my hard wood floors are old and they are separating and dirt gets in the cracks... I cant reseal as this is a rented town home, how can I get these guys clean!! I will walk around barefoot and my feet are really dirty at the end of the day.... So gross.

Favorite Answer

Cleaning real hardwood floors, especially very old ones, is a real challenge! I have the same problem in my home, and while refinishing is the best bet, it's not an option for me right now.

The problem is that over the years, the protective finish applied to the wood gets worn away, which allows dirt to get ground into the wood grain.

The rule with real wood floors is to NEVER use a method that uses a lot of water - this will damage the floor further.

I've found the best way to keep my floors reasonably clean is to use Murphy's Oil Soap, which is safe for use on wood. They even make a "squirt and mop" type formula. Damp mopping with Murphy's will lift some of the dirt, but serious cleaning will take some elbow grease! I do my floors by hand - wipe with a cloth dampened with solution (wipe with the grain of the wood), then follow with a dry (preferably microfiber) cloth. You'll be truly grossed out by the amount of dirt that comes up!

Wear gloves when you do this - I've given myself several wicked splinters cleaning my old floors :-)

Be aware that NO amount of cleaning will eliminate all the dirt - the only way to do this is to literally sand off the top layer of the wood and apply a new layer of varnish- which is what they do when they refinish hardwood floors.

Hope this helps - good luck to you.

im surprised nobody has mentioned the chokeslam yet. the chokeslam is a very hard finisher to pull off. although it may look very simple and easy, it requires communication, timing, and also strength. wrestlers like kane make it seem as if kane is single handedly lifting his opponent off the ground by the throat, but if u watch hulk hogan vs undertaker on youtube from judgement day 2002 u will know thats not the case. after holding ur opponent by the throat, u have to ask them 2 do a small jump before liftng them off their feet to get elevation. if that's not done, then like the old homo hulk, the opponent will cause the move to be botched. there's also the risk of the opponent wearin tricky clothin, like for example vince coming in a suit to be chokeslammed, and therefore the small jump and communication, without it beeing seen by the crowd or bothced, has to be done perfectly. but in my view, a 450 splash by billy kidman or the shooting star press is without a doubt the hardest. i also like the swanton bomb and the whisper in the wind.

Murphy's Oil Soap

Okay vacuum them first. Then mop, then polish then wipe them down again with just water.