Sherri
Sherri asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What brand of dog food do you feed your dog?

I am thinking about switching my dog's food. I alternate flavors to keep her interested, but I've never switched brands.

Please tell me the brand of food you feed your dog, the flavor (if applicable), and why you chose that brand. Thanks in advance!!

• Remdog
    Favorite Answer

Purima ProPlan, large breed for an adult male labrador. I highly recommend it. Ignore people on here who tell you all Purina is crap. I know lots of people who compete with their dogs who feed this with excellent results, and my dog has done very well on it.

I alternate between several grain-free brands: Evo, Canidae, Before Grain, Blue Wilderness, and Professional. Originally, only my St. Bernard was eating the grain free food. Our vet recommended protein food because she has digestive health issues (I have 4 dogs total) but the other three began stealing her food and ignoring the Beneful... even though my chihuahua/terrier mix was obsessed with the red kibbles, he gave them up for her food, that was the cue that we may as well just feed them all the same food. I have noticed less gas and more energy in all the dogs, and my St. Bernard is no longer a perpetual poop factory. All combined, the dogs eat about 20 cups/day. My dogs don't eat canned food, but they do get the occasional home-made meals when my grocery budget allows it.

I feed Nutro Ultra. It is a holistic food that is packed with "super foods" to help with her immune system, healthy heart, brain function, vision, etc. Also, Nutro does not use ground yellow corn, which is a filler and big allergen among dogs. They don't use by-products (heads, feet, intestines). And there are no artificial colors or flavors. It has high levels of essential fatty acids to help keep your dog's skin and coat healthy. My dog's coat is so shiny and she barely sheds at all. And it's 100% guaranteed!

Source(s): www.ultraholistic.com

I feed my dogs Taste Of The Wild. It is a little more expensive but its a good brand. It has many different flavors and we switch it every time we buy a new bag. They even have wet food.

It has good ingredients in the fod for them.

i feed Taste of the wild, and Diamond naturals, rotating both brands and flavors. Diamond naturals is grain inclusive TOTW is grain free. I would feed all taste of the wild, because dogs are carnivores and should not eat grain as it is a filler and they cannot digest it, but that would cost quite a bit more. I am thinking about starting my dog on a prey model raw diet, in which all the dog eats is raw meat, bone, and organs. this is what a dog is designed to eat, not little kernels of dog food. Bone is ok for dogs as long as it is not cooked, because if cooked, the bone will splinter. thats what i feed!

Royal Canin (spelled without an E)

This is an easy palatable brand. It nourishes the coat and reduces tartar. It is available for all sizes, specific breeds, sensitive stomachs, and special diets. It doesn't come in flavors. I chose this because the humane society where i got my dog from recommended this, and that the pet store said it was a top quality brand.

Other top quality brands:

Blue Buffalo

Beneful (not the greatest, but friend uses it and owns a healthy 5 year dog)

Eukanuba (not the best, but friend also owns healthy pup)

Wellness

Canidae

hope i helped

Source(s): dog owner, expert, and lover

We have 3 Vizsla dogs and feed a raw diet as follows:

The following is what EACH of us Vizslas get *TWICE* per day (breakfast and supper (or tea for my UK friends)) ...

* 10 Oz Raw meat (alternating beef [80% muscle, 20% organ], chicken and fish)

* 1.75 C Wendy Volhard's Natural Diet Foundation 2 (aka NDF2)

* 2 TBSP Missing Link Plus (aka MLP)

* 1.5 C long grain white rice

... all of the above mixed with a little warm water. Quantities vary slightly depending on the dog's weight. Our V's run 46 to 65Lbs.

1 Large Tartar Control cookie

That's the *TWICE* daily list, now for treats:

* 1-3 dried chicken strips per day

* Dried liver treats and kibbles for play and training

* Daddy's whole milk & cheerios bowl before bed time (we share it and he always makes extra for us)

* Certain leftovers from the hoomins meals (NEVER cooked bones or other nasties)

Mommy is the official in charge of noms ... only she is allowed to give us things or OK things to give us. This way, our diet is consistent, regular and safe.

Source(s): 30+ years dog lover, trainer and MUCH personal experience.

halo's wholesome chicken followed by Wild Salmon-we tried a sample back when they did offer samples and it was one that my found yummy.She's been getting Halo's since December 2009

Taste of the Wild High Prairie:It's good and my dog likes it.I don't use the Wetlands because my dog can't handle it or Pacific Stream(yet)

Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural-It's good,my dog likes it.Been on it since December 2009.Looking to try Ocean Fusion next

I rotate brands/flavors mostly grain free-2 grains max.I tend to stick to the brands with few recalls or none.Brands like Natural Balance I don't feed plus my dog won't touch it!

Source(s): dog owner
  • I also feed Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice.

my dogs love it, and do great on it. Meri has finally gained weight and is looking like a healthy great dane

i use wellness

for my dogs, i use wellness small breed...only flavor available which is turkey

i use wellness cuz it doenst contain corn, by product or fillers

and small breed cuz its specific to my breed to for thier special needs and also the kibbles r small

ive used wellness after other brands and have never turned bac

Source(s): wellnesspetfood.com