what to do when your friend has an eating problem, but denies it and wont let you get a word in.?

over the last year my friend has developed an eating problem that all of the rest of my friends see. she eats very small portions of extremely healthy food for lunch and barely anything for supper. she has become a vegetarian and works out compulsively. we have mentioned it to her and she got very upset and INSISTS that its a misunderstanding. we don't know how her family hasn't noticed yet... and we don't know what to do to help her. any suggestions !!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If your friend is not your minor child, and you are not her guardian, then don't try to talk to her about it. Either she knows that she has an eating problem, or she doesn't. If you've tried to talk to her about it, and she shuts you down, then you need to quit raising the subject. If you keep nagging her about this subject, then she will quit seeing you. You can be a good role model, but otherwise, let your adult friend make her own choices. You may tell her, once a month, that you are concerned about her, but don't talk on this subject for more than 10 minutes, and you may only tell her that you'll help her if she wants to get help.

You can't MAKE an adult make healthier choices. And if you push her too hard, you'll push her completely away from you.

• 1 decade ago

Your friend is in denial about her disorder. . People with eating disorders need the help of a competent therapist and a nutritionist. This is a serious and complex problem that requires competent mental health treatment as well. This condition also leads to many nutritional deficiencies that lead to many medical problems unless treated effectively..

• 1 decade ago

If you have already tried to explain to her and ask her about her eating habits and she is reluctant, I would recommend talking to her parents. Talk to someone that knows her well, but has upper power so that they can help contact a doctor. I would highly suggest her parents or a respected individual, such as a teacher. Pull her aside and talk to her about what you and your friends have noticed (dieting changes and exercising routines), tell her you are worried about the possible risks, nutrition deficiencies and the possibility of death. Be serious and stand your ground.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.