Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why do conservatives lie and say we are still losing jobs?

I have heard that we are still losing 450,000 jobs a month. Where do they get this info? Provide a link.

Here is where I get my data.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Just what I thought ,no proof only lies.

Favorite Answer

If the jobs are coming back why is the left asking for more unemployment benefits?

The government provides the numbers not the conservatives. Does the government lie? Who is in charge of the government? The fact is that counting the unemployment rate of 10% and the "discouraged" unemployed (those over one year) the real unemployment rate is 18%. The fact is that the stimulus package was a failure (unless you count the bonuses paid to CEO's of failed companies as a success) in creating jobs. The only industry that gained jobs was the government/public sector and union run businesses. We have failed small businesses and the government levied taxes on small businesses discourages job creation. The heavy burden placed on private sector by increased taxes will not create jobs for Americans and big businesses are going off shore to avoid the heavy taxes and union imposed wages. This country is in grave danger of its economy failing due to the increase in the national debt - Greece, Portugal, Hungary, and Spain are prime examples of the public sector and entitlement programs that stymie private sector jobs. The USA is close behind under the current administration's failed policies.

I don't know who has said that we lose jobs at the rate you mention, or that we are losing jobs at all. The figure you quote shows that job creation was practically nil last month (if you don't count the low-paying, temporary census jobs), and that is a real concern.

Conservatives don't care about job creation or even job conservation (such as the thousands of teachers who will be laid off as states face budget crunches). Their concern is to increase short term profits for the wealthy and to prevent the national debt from growing.

I hope you aren't encouraged by the figures you quote. At that rate, Paul Klugman is right, and we will have entered another Long Depression.

Per your reference:

"Nonfarm payroll employment increased by 431,000 in May, reflecting

the addition of 411,000 temporary workers for Census 2010. Total pri-

vate employment showed little change over the month (+41,000),.."

Were you aware that job creation needs to be at about 100,000 per month just to keep up with the number of people who newly enter the workforce each year? If the total private employment increases by less than 100,000 (as it did), then it isn't keeping up with the population.

Sure, government jobs are being created, but those do not add to economic growth - they actually take money out of the market, either through taxes or through government borrowing which crowds out private borrowing.

Throw in the Democrats' proposed increases in taxes - Cap & Trade, Health Care Reform, and the expiration of the Bush tax cuts - and businesses are only going to increase employment as absolutely needed.

Kind of like the "Good news" last month 431,000 new jobs created. The problem is 411,000 of those jobs were temp positions for the census and if not already out of work will be shortly.

So according to your edit, the census did not hire anyone?

Conservatives are telling the TRUTH.

Heck, even your own VP (I take no credit for him) says:

Vice President Joe Biden gave a stark assessment of the economy today, telling an audience of supporters, "there's no possibility to restore 8 million jobs lost in the Great Recession."

Isn't that just special that your VP has lost faith in America...I wonder where he gets that. Obama is always so Pro-America and positive about our future.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20008924-50...

Okay, I don't know if you noticed, but it said 411,000 of the 431,000 are TEMPORARY Census jobs. Therefore, assuming the other 20,000 are full time, stable jobs, within a few months, those 411,000 are going to be without a job again.

I think that's how many jobs we lost last month, when the census jobs ended. If you're going to count those as jobs created in the so-called recovery, you have to count them as losses when they're gone.

@ Mysteriously, someone recently told me that in our classifieds there are more people advertising that they need jobs than advertisements for jobs.

Ugh.

Getting your information on this subject from a government source is like asking the Pope for a peer review of the Bible.

Your official data is based on a survey of households, not actual jobs lost, saved, created, or whatever other buzz word is getting used today.