Why do Christians believe that they are naturally immoral? Are they genetically predisposed to immorality?

Christians regularly claim that without God, they would have no morals. The unquestionable implication of their claim is that they all really, really, really want to kill, rape, steal, lie and such, and the only thing holding them back is belief in God.

Every day, however, millions upon millions of non-Christians refrain from killing and raping and stealing and such simply because there's nothing attractive in those acts. It's not even necessary to have the "morally wrong" discussion, because they just aren't compelled to kill/rape/steal the way Christians apparently are.

Why do Christians WANT to do these things, whereas so many non-Christians just don't have the natural compulsion? Are Christians genetically different?

Note: I'm speaking about the majorities here, not the exceptions. The vast majority of people go through their daily lives without committing such acts. My question is why that comes naturally to non-Christians, but Christians have to fight their natural urge to do harm to others.

@Ricardo: I don't claim that I or non-Christians have never lied—although most of us don't kill, rape, etc. But we've also NOT lied and whatever other examples you cite.

But when we don't do it, it's not because of God.

It's not MY argument that Christians are so immoral. It comes from the regular claims—like the one you put forth—that the only reason YOU don't do it, when you don't, is because of God—but that your inclination to do such things is strong.

For non-Christians, when we don't lie, etc., it's not because of God, and I don't usually read/hear non-Christians claiming that they really want to do these things.

My question comes from your own claims.

Favorite Answer

People who have no stake in society & no family to nurture them in their formative childhood years are the ones who are "predisposed to immorality." Christians are basically idealists who believe if they work hard enough they will sin less and therefore suffer less. They'll never be perfect but they shouldn't be rejected for falling short of the mark.

Source(s): The Poopy One

Whether there is a genetic predisposition to religiosity I do not know. Personally, I have never felt the urge. The problem is that religion is generally used as a mechanism of control. Those in power consolidate their interests through institutions such as political and religious. Conservativess tend to have great difficulty in merely drawing a line between the two. They tell their flock that they need to obey their religion (ie. our orders) or else society will crumble into rape, murder, etc. These werenecessaryy to police peoples minds before modern authority institutions. They also claim the protestant work ethic, "work long, hard, not for riches though, harder for a rich man to enter heaven... etc". Of course who does this ideology serve, the ruling class who benefit from the labour. Thus heaven is seen as ones final

Ah, the hay man argument, you put forth something that you claim is the oppositions belief, and then dismantle it. the answer is that we don't have a natural compulsion, everybody does it, or are you telling me you have never lied, hated, hurt somebody, stolen, or any of those? we don't have a weird compulsion to do it. we claim that God stops us because without a supremem judge, what is there to fear? What is there to stop us from breaking with morality? Look at what happens when atheists have all the power and none of the fear? Hitler, Musselini, Lenin, Castro, Mao. Are you telling me you don't see the point? The only thing that stops people from being animals is fear of a higher power, wether it is human or supernatural. Everyone is imoral by nature because imorality would benefit us, killing the opposition, lieing to protect ourselves, stealing what we want. see the big picture now? We simply obey morality because it benefits us more in the current situation, we follow the law to avoid prison, we don't lie because we were spanked when we did as kids.

• MikeM

There are many ways to be immoral. I don't want to kill/rape/steal either. I have lied before though. I have done other immoral things. How good is good enough for heaven? God is perfect. I fall way short of perfect.

That is why it says:

James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

After becoming a Christian, I find that I'm not trying to be moral in order to get to heaven, or because I'm afraid of punishment, or because I want to be good. I try to be moral, because I am grateful of how God has changed me and I really really love God. I want to please Him. It's now a "want to" and not a "have to".

It's not that we all want to do all of those things, it's that we are all capable of doing those things. We are all born sinful. Do you have to teach a baby to be bad? No but you do have to teach it to do good. Babies and toddlers are perfectly able to be bad and get into trouble. This is not a majority thing. ALL people have done, do, and will continue to do bad things. Maybe not rape and murder, but maybe lying, stealing, and smaller things

Romans 5: 12 That is why just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.

From what I read and see in the news, the world is full of murder, rape and robbery, and not by Christians. So your premise that morality comes naturally to non-Christians is false.

Because it is the truth of the fallen nature of man.

If someone who rejects God does not daily commit murder, rape, stealing as you say, it is not because those things are unattractive, but rather that small bit of conscience that God has place within them that they have not yet been able to suppress.

God is the standard for perfect morality. If one is to deny God, they have no standard by which to measure their morality. God defines what is moral not man.

Genesis 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Romans 1:18-32 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. (19) For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. (20) For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. (21) For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. (22) Claiming to be wise, they became fools, (23) and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. (24) Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, (25) because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. (26) For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; (27) and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. (28) And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. (29) They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, (30) slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, (31) foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. (32) Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

Romans 3:10-18 as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; (11) no one understands; no one seeks for God. (12) All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." (13) "Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive." "The venom of asps is under their lips." (14) "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness." (15) "Their feet are swift to shed blood; (16) in their paths are ruin and misery, (17) and the way of peace they have not known." (18) "There is no fear of God before their eyes."

Romans 3:20-23 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin. (21) But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it-- (22) the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: (23) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Source(s): Bible

It speaks to their concept of ORIGINAL SIN. They all see themselves as inferior or damaged merchandise, fixable only through their belief in the mythical 'jesus'. The are delusional.

• non on earth have any moral neither your your thought and heart is wicked as well as all on earth but through Christ we strive to keep our lives moral because all immorality is sin and God hates sin. He will punish all sinner on His great day

Source(s): www.thegreatearthquake.com