Which film camera should I get?

Hey, i'm an amateur photographer, and i wanna start experimenting in film. I've been reasearching a lot, and it comes down to the Diana F+ and the Canon EOS Rebel 2000. I'm really going for that vintage look that film creates. Which one would be better for me? thanks,

Favorite Answer

Are you just going to want to fart around with photography? Get the Diana F+.

Are you going to want to get anything that's in focus, properly exposed, zoomed in, zoomed out, or in general looks like it wasn't shot through the bottom of a coke bottle, get the Canon (or any other decent SLR camera). A good SLR will also last longer than any cheap plastic Diana camera.

But the bottom line is, if you really want that Diana then you might just go ahead and get it. Having a camera that, while superior, doesn't inspire you to take pictures like the other one would won't make you want to take pictures, which of course is the point of buying a camera.

Cabbiinc is absolutely right.

I'd just like to add that shooting with film won't automatically make your pictures look vintage. Modern film will produce a realistic image, same as digital. And old film (more than a few years old) is completely unusable by now. I use film cameras from the 1950s, 60s, and 70s, and there's nothing magical about those old lenses either... the pictures look just fine.

Using a Diana F or a Holga will only make your pictures look craptacular. But again, not vintage. (It can be great fun though!)

The irony is that for a vintage look, you'd be better off shooting digital and learning a few tricks in Photoshop.

action picture can nevertheless have greater decision than even 10 MP digital cameras. besides the undeniable fact that, action picture can in lots of circumstances be of low high quality in case you do no longer be conscious of the thank you to apply it nicely, or you get it stepped forward on the incorrect place. digital, on the different hand, is a lot much less annoying to apply, edit and advance. besides the undeniable fact that, while you're making incredibly super pictures (over 8x11), you will see a definition replace. yet another draw back to digital is that it regularly has computerized settings. meaning, in case you come upon particular environments, the digital camera could freak out and mess up the image. basic, till you're very experienced with action picture or have an unbeatable deal, i could elect the digital camera.