Surgical abortion or abortion pill?

Which is the least painful and least traumatic?

Do you get a scar from surgical?

Do you feel horrible coming off anaesthetic?

How long does it take to recover from each?

Please give me some personal experience :)

(UK)

Favorite Answer

The surgical abortion is the most traumatic. Take it from someone who's done it 3 times (yes yes, bring on the thumbs' down, you don't know my story). I used the pill during my last miscarriage, because I didn't want the surgical procedure. If it's during a miscarriage, and you're having the D&C, they put you to sleep. Otherwise, if it's a surgical abortion, they DO NOT put you to sleep. They give you IV drugs that make you spaced out, but you can still feel the pain... and trust me, IT IS PAINFUL. The pill only caused cramping, though I was already cramping at the time. I was in the hospital for 2 days, just so they could monitor what was coming out and make sure the tissue was all expelled. I would recommend the pill, if your heart is set on ending this pregnancy. Good luck.

Both are as traumatic. I would say the abortion pill would be most traumatic though because you see the remnants of your own child.

If you have definitely chosen to go for an abortion, I would advise you to go for the surgical abortion under general anesthetic. If you go for the abortion pill, some remnants may still be left inside you and you will therefore, need to go and get it removed through D&C. Surgical abortions don't sound to be painful but the recovery process is painful through your loss. The only pain you will feel from both abortions is period-like cramping and there are many more side effects from taking the two abortion pills eg. vomiting, diarrhea etc.

The process is simple. You will need to spend a full day at the abortion clinic. You'll sign in, sign some forms. Then, you'll get an ultrasound to show how many weeks pregnant you are. Then, you will have a consultation meeting to discuss abortion options with a doctor and then if you wish to proceed, you will be taken down to "surgery". The process for a Surgical abortion is around 10-15 minutes. If you're put asleep, nothing will wake you.. you will just be like you're normally asleep.

We are fortunate (or unfortunate?) to be able to get all forms of abortion through the NHS so your abortion will be funded and you will not have to pay anything.

I wish you luck with deciding what to do. I know it's a very hard decision to make.

Source(s): I'm 17 weeks pregnant and considered abortion but very, very happy that I have kept. I ran away from the abortion clinic after the ultrasound..

Abortion pill is superb way to get abort unwanted pregnancy

Surgical abortion is a very painful method

Medical

Pros-

*Can happen in the privacy of your own home

*Can have a loved one there

*More like a miscarriage, more natural

*No chance of scar tissue since no instruments are used only pills

*Mostly cheaper than a surgical

Cons-

*Happens outside of the medical establishment

*Can cause nausea/diarrhea (didn't happen to me though)

*Takes 1 - 12 hrs to complete (mine took 3 hours)

*Bleeding and cramps but that's kind of part and parcel of what's going on

That's all I can think of for cons though I'm sure they are out there

Surgical

Pros-

*Happens inside the medical establishment

*Actual procedure over and done with in 5 - 15 min

*You will be sedated

Cons-

*Impersonal clinic staff

*Instruments must be passed through your cervix - if done incorrectly this can cause scar tissue, adhesions ect

*You will be sedated - some people do not handle sedation well

*Can't drive yourself home because of the sedatives and pain killers

*Bleeding and cramping

I choose to have the medical procedure. My reasoning was I can have it at home with my husband near by. I wouldn't have to drive anywhere or deal with strangers while in such a vulnerable position. I was also concerned about scar tissue, since no instruments are passed through you with a pill abortion there is no risk of scar tissue from them. It is also more natural feeling, to cramp and bleed out a pregnancy, it is more like a miscarriage and thusly your psyche intuitively knows how to handle that better.

If you have any other questions check out my previous answers or email me. Heal well.

It is entirely possible to have an abortion and not feel guilt because you knew it was the right thing to do. Other women's stories about their abortions and their choice to not regret it. ImNotSorry.net

~Pro-Choice Momma; Have had an abortion <no regrets> and I have a 17 month old daughter <no regrets>. I believe in protecting my daughter's choice.

Abortion: There is a Consensus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSQiazUvgo

Youtube thumbnail

• Sam

Take abortion pills for safe and secure abortion

Surgical is a lot safer.

• Nether put the baby up for adoption and have it you should have thought about it before you had unprotected sex. but i would say the pill.

• adoption is best..

the scars on your sub concious will never heal.

Neither would be best :)

none!