Lv 5

Whats Christianity's view on hypnotherapy?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I am a Christian and would not elect hypnotherapy as a treatment.

Hypnotherapy taps into your subconscious mind, whereby an individual/therapist/counselor is able to make suggestions toward or against a certain course of action or analyze a traumatic event that transpired in your life. They hypnotist can influence your memory. Because you are placed in a "trance", so to speak, only that therapist is able to bring you out of that state.

I would prefer to be in full control of all of my faculties so as to be able to make a conscious decision as to my choices or what is influencing my thoughts and memory.

Jesus said at Matthew 22:37 that we must love God with our "whole mind."

• 1 decade ago

There is no consensus of opinion on this by Christians.

Some will accept it in trust from a qualified person especially if he or she were a another Christian.

Some preachers may/would warn against it

At a guess, I should imagine cigarette addiction would be the main problem that would tempt christians to have this treatment, especially if nicotine induced health problems were becoming serious

Some, instinctively would not 'risk' it.

I would tender the view that the more spiritually advanced a believer is, the more they are aware of subtle influences on the mind in the world, and would not risk giving over the control of their mind to another, in case there was some kind of bad after-effect in the mind.

Some would say that whatever a hypnotherapist can achieve, can be achieved through the power of faith in Jesus Christ the Saviour and Healer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have had many christian see me for hypnotherapy ...

It was actually accepted by the catholic church in the 50's as a viable therapy ...

• 1 decade ago

Not good. It's really a form of control or manipulation which would be looked at as witchcraft by most.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Christians are permanently hypnotized by the mythical Jesus.

• 1 decade ago

It's fine with me xD

Source(s): Christian
  • 1 decade ago

Their view is that god does it to them all the time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It frightens them.

• 1 decade ago

i think it works if you want it to work.

Source(s): christian.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.