Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Should phil hughes have an innings limit?

First and foremost let me say that I am a big fan of hughes, even when he first came up in the league and was sent back down, I knew he had talent. I expect starters to have a bad start every once in a while, but I feel like the yankees innings limit is a bad idea. They tried it with joba, and his velocity is down, and his pitches are stale. I think they should stop babying their pitchers and let them pitch. Its not like hughes is old, he's a young, strong healthy guy.

I would bet that if the yanks didn't skip a spot in hughes rotation he would have been just fine yesterday. I think he was rusty because he was too rested.

What do you guys think?

@ Chandler, Agreed. If anyone needs an innings limit its AJ, not Hughes.

Favorite Answer

It has really helped them so far. They tried to limit Hughes's innings, and look at the start he had last night. They tried to limit Chamberlain's innings, and I don't even have to explain what he's been doing.

There are two sides of the coin:

Yes, innings limit. We all see what happened to Francisco Liriano when the Twins tried to push him too hard a few years ago. You know the Yankees don't want to see that happen.

No, no innings limit. I agree, they baby pitchers. At 10-2, Hughes has the best record on the team this year.

MY OPINION: No innings limit. Use him now and if the Yankees have a large enough lead in the division in September, rest him then so he's ready for the playoffs.

INNINGS LIMIT FOR A.J.!

I truly believe 10 days rest was the reason why Hughes got tagged yesterday. His control was no where to be seen. I mean it was the Mariners..

They need to stop with the innings limits and just let him pitch freely. The Yankees totally mis-handled Joba Chamberlain. He isn't even the same pitcher anymore. Might as well use Joba as trade bait for Cliff Lee.

• ?

Yeah I know waht you mean. I was watching the game yesterday and I was surprised they were leaving him in there. The Mariners kept getting hits and hits off of him. I was surprised Joe didn't pull him, I mean he went only 5.1 innings and gave up ten hits. They seem to be pushing him. You are right about Joba, I hope the Yankees don't make the same mistake again.

yes i agree. if he wasnt rested, he would have done great.

No.