mpalmernyc asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

what is a good way to cool my fish tank?

I have a 10 gallon tank with goldfish. I put the thermometer in and the temp varies between 75 and 83 degrees, way to warm for them for what I'm told. I can't afford a chiller at this time, just not an option for me. I want to know if I could simply remove a half gallon of water from the tank and replace it with cold water. Would this damage the fish?

Favorite Answer

I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to say Solja B made me laugh like a little schoolgirl. Mmmm, goldfish slushie.

Be very careful with what water you put in there. Tap water is usually loaded with chlorine which can kill your gold fish, but if you let that water sit in the open a day or so the chlorine usually will dissipate. Then freeze the conditioned, chlorine free water in ice cube trays and drop it in.

Alternatively just use a small pump and run a tube above the water level to allow the water to circulate and fall back in. That will slowly cool the water plus oxygenate it at the same time.

I live in Texas and have an outdoor pond full of goldfish where water temps often hit the high 70s, low 80s, but have an artificial waterfall I made using a pump and tubing. My fish are now all 5 years old or older. Also if you find small containers outside with rainwater full of mosquito larvae give it to the fish and they will eat the larvae. Just don't go overboard. I now have several gold fish 8 inches long or better and all were tiny fry when I bought them.

You don't say if you have a heater in the tank if so turn it down if not, is the tank in the sun or is it just that hot in your house? if you replace some of the water it will cool the tank for a short time but wont help in the long run so I would just not worry about them too much they are pretty hard to kill. and if you put your hand in the water 75 is really not hot so they will be fine. most cold water tanks are kept at 75-82 degrees anyway. Good luck.

First of all, you have a ten gallon tank with a goldfish. I assume it's common. A common goldfish can get over 1 foot long and requires 40-55 gallons of water. Having colder water is the least of your worries. Get a WAY bigger tank, and it won't fluctuate as much.

Also, please don't say that you're going to 'move it when it grows' because it won't grow in that tank. It's too small.

• linzey

nicely, in case you want a classic combination, i could bypass with 15 neon or cardinal tetras, 12 rummynose tetras, a single or pair of dwarf cichlid (Apistogramma, blue ram, or Dicrossus....maximum individuals bypass with the blue ram), 6 corydoras catfish (my favorites are sterbai, yet julii is comparable and much less annoying to locate), and once you start to get some helpful, green algae, grab 5 or so Otocinclus or Parotocinclus (aka pitbull pleco/goby pleco), or a clown pleco or 2. this offers you some shade schemes, shapes, and behavioral features. For decor, bypass with dark organic gravel, fairly some driftwood, and loads of flowers (faux or genuine...in case you haven't any longer looked into plant care, however, choose for faux).

I wouldnt have thought so, as long as they are allright in tap water then I would suggest just taking out some of the water and replacing it with cold

Just put some ice in a Ziploc bag until the temperature comes down to what you want it to be.

Hope this helps :)

Fill it up wiith crushed ice. Worse comes to worse ya end up witth a goldfish icee slushie.

If you have a fan you can leave the fan over the water for a couple hours.

GL ;)

• should empty it half way without the fish in there, then fill it with cold water.