How to reduce fuel consumption in City?

Some one told me if u shift into neutral while at a redlight it will save fuel. They also mentioned that if u drive in 3rd gear instead of overdrive it will improve mileage. I think neither is true what do yall think?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I drive a manual so I'm always in neutral when I'm stopped. If you are going to be stopped at a red light for a while it's best to turn off the car. Some modern fuel efficient cars do this automatically even while you are coasting.

Driving in overdrive decreased fuel efficiency, I always try to drive in the highest gear I feel comfortable in.

• 1 decade ago

There are big things that you can do, and there are small things that you can do.

You are talking about the smaller things - the big ones might include park and ride systems - car park on the outskirts and a free bus to town, dedicated bus lanes and improved mass public transport systems. Also look at getting smaller cars, smaller is lighter, and more fuel efficient - no need for a 6 litre engine if you are doing 20 mph.

Small things - things you can do now:

Drive Easy.... smooth acceleration and anticipate red lights to allow a smooth stop rather than race from the lights and brake hard again

Empty the car of excess weight - all the stuff you carry with you costs fuel (keep the essentials though - spare tyre and so on)

Car pool - use the car every other day

Neutral at a red light is good in an automatic, otherwise holding the clutch in will have the same effect

Fill up with only 1/2 tank at a time, not fill it to the top

Keep the tyre pressure correct (about 30psi)

On fast roads, stick to the speed limit, don't speed generally

Avoid short journeys (anything less than a mile is pointless)

Hope that helps a bit

• 1 decade ago

You want to always run in the highest gear you engine can handle. The higher the gear, the slower the engine rpms and the less fuel consumed.

At a stop light to save the most fuel stop the engine.

After that, drive as slow as you can for the traffic speed, avoid rapid acceleration.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.