? asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Why do I have so much Discharge?

I always have so much discharge and it's really annoying. My friend told me I'm always thinking about something dirty therefore I'm always wet. But shes stupid. What the hell is it?

• Carrie
    Favorite Answer

It's just preparing for your period. Same thing happened to me. Wear a pantyliner to protect your underwear, and you're right, she is stupid. Your body just naturally discharges.

Once you start puberty a white and/or clear wet mucous discharge is normal. The vagina is self-cleaning. This same discharge increases the closer you get to ovulation and when you are sexually aroused. Trust me, you don't ever want it to go away. It is what makes sex possible. You will also have your own unique musky scent and it will smell stronger to you than to others.

This normal discharge will also continue after you get your period. Some girls do produce more discharge than others. You can wear a pantyliner if it bothers you. The amount and consistency of your discharge can vary due to hormones, medication, diet, water intake, exercise, and illness.

Your normal white/clear discharge will turn yellow or dry yellow when exposed to air. If it is coming out yellow, then you probably have a bacterial infection and need to see a doctor.

Different Types of Discharge:

White: Thick, white discharge is common at the beginning and end of your cycle. Normal white discharge is not accompanied by itching. If itching is present, thick white discharge can indicate a yeast infection.

Clear and stretchy: This is "fertile" mucous and means you are ovulating.

Clear and watery: This occurs at different times of your cycle and can be particularly heavy after exercising.

Yellow or Green: May indicate an infection, especially if thick or clumpy like cottage cheese or has a foul odor.

Spotting Blood/Brown Discharge: May happen right after periods, and is just "cleaning out" your vagina. Old blood looks brown. This may occur when you are ovulating/mid-cycle.

Different types of infections:

Signs of yeast infections:

White, cottage cheese-like discharge

Swelling and pain around the vulva

Intense itching

Signs of bacterial vaginosis:

A white, gray or yellowish vaginal discharge

A fishy odor that is strongest after sex or after washing with soap

Itching or burning

Slight redness and swelling of the vagina or vulva