Freya is back! asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

how do i calm my horse down in dressage on grass?

i have been picked for the eventing team in my pony club but my horse gets really excited and strong because he is in his snaffle. the last time we did dressage on grass he was being silly and i don't want it to affect our score. how can i calm him down?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Desensitizing him on the grass. Practice riding without any exciting activities frequently. Just walking around and circling and practicing little maneuvers and then work your way up into doing normal work. If the rally is really soon it IS legal to use calming pastes or supplements that you feed to your horse IF it is written on your horses stall card. This is what I used on my pony for rallies, http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1...

• 5 years ago

Considering your other questions & videos as well-- This horse needs to go back to basics. It appears too much jumping and too high of jumping is going on before she is solid in her flatwork. It seems like you are using spurs and a lot of leg all the time because she is not responsive to your leg--not to fine tune your communication. This indicates that she needs more basic work on responsiveness to the aids rather than upping the force. It just seems like so much rushing and high energy activity is going on with this horse, so naturally she is going to respond by getting more and more spun up rather than more responsive. Clearly, she is escalating here which would be a typical response when her training has been rushed, basics are being skipped, and many of her riding sessions are jumping fences she is not ready for yet. She needs to go back to consistent basics sessions. Riding should be primarily flatwork that concentrates on correctness. Jumping should be limited to only a couple times a week and be very technical, low gymnastics. Because she has been building so much tension and nerves, it isn't going to be easy at first. She is going to be tense in the flatwork and ready to GO GO GO. Thus, you need to set small, achievable goals for each session. Start with bitted up lunging where she is not allowed to get out of control, but does a lot of strong trotting until she is focused. Then, when you get on keep it simple--starting with something like just getting a few good walk trot transitions and a few decent bends then call it a day. Setting small, achievable goals is going to be very important to prevent things from turning into a fight. She needs to start seeing riding as a consistent, positive experience where she can relax.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Practise riding him in the field in a marked out ring using poles and letters, eventually he'll get used to it and should calm down.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ace promazine

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.