I need information on Tax abatement programs for New homebuyers?

Where do I go to more about Tax abatement programs in Texas

Favorite Answer

Check with your local appraisal district (use a search engine and enter appraisal county and your county name).

I don't think you will find anything as paying property taxes are how Texas counties raise the money they need for schools, hospitals, etc.

You CAN file a homestead exemption form, effective 1/1/2011 if this is your full-time residence. Not all programs accept it (the central appraisal district handles it), but this can knock off a few hundred dollars from the bill.

There are no tax abatements in TX for new homeowners. A tax abatement is a refund of a tax that you've already paid. TX only abates taxes if they should not have been collected in the first place.

You DO qualify for a homestead exemption on part of the value of your home if you live in your home. Contact the local appraisal district for details. There are strict application deadlines that must be met, however, and it may be too late for 2010 already.

Source(s): TX property owner for many years.