My PC is running very slow, and the fan is running permanently? What should I do?

Hi Guys, I have a Compaq Presario C500, now 4 years old, used all day and everyday, as the main home PC. The pages are now taking a long time to change, the fan is running constantly, is it time to buy a new PC? Many thanks, Alan.

Favorite Answer

Not necessarily, It might be old but it should last another 4 years with proper care.

When was the last time you scanned it for adware/spyware?

When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive?

When was the last time you emptied your Internet cache?

Using it everyday for 4 years, I guess you've downloaded hell of a lot of applications from the Internet onto your PC. Then my guess is simple lack of memory. Try freeing up some memory on your hard drive by discarding unused applications.

A cheaper option to buying a new computer would be to buy some more memory. Buying extra RAM will always speed up your online experience.

Here are some tips you should take to improve your PC performance http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=3056...

I tried it and my connection's much faster now.

• Matt

Well, the fan should almost always be running anyways. I have a two week old computer sitting beside me, and the fans have never not been running. It's essential for the life of the computer to keep the fans running.

As for pages taking a long time to change, do you mean internet pages, or pages that are not connected to the internet. If you are talking about internet pages, it may not be your computers fault.

If your PC is generally slow, however, it is probably time to get a new one.

Most computers actually run slow because of a hidden part of your system, which is constantly being used by Windows. This part of your PC is called the "registry" and is the central database for Windows, which stores everything from your latest emails to your desktop wallpaper. It's one of the most important parts of Windows and can easily make your PC run slow.The more corrupt registry files your computer has, the more it struggles to read them.The files which makes it run slower and slower. To fix this, you simply need to use a registry cleaner http://computer-work-smooth.com/ . These are small software tools which actually work by scanning through the registry and fixing any bad files that are in there. This then allows Windows to read as many files as it wants, when it wants to.

• Toby

If the fan is running constantly, then it's because your CPU is hot. This may be because dust is on it, causing an insulation effect. Try blowing the innards of your PC out with some canned air.

It is possible that your cpu is running overtime because of a large number of background applications running this would also cause the slow uptake of other applications. try run>msconfig>startup then uncheck all unnescasary programs. also try uninstalling any programs that you dont use.

it may also be as someone has already said a build up of dust which could be fixed by blowing it out.

Finally you could be right the parts may just be warn down and warrant a replacement.

It's probably because your hardware gets older and older and can't cope with newer software but there are many things still you can do to speed your PC up.

Look for some good tips here: http://www.speed-up-pc.org/

Take a glass of wother and give him. After thet he will be faster. ;D