Why are women often referred to as "Ladies"?

I've noticed that people will always refer to women regardless of age as ladies. Why don't people just say woman?

• Lv 7
    Favorite Answer

A "Lady" in olden terms, meant a woman of high birth and position.

A "Woman" was just a peasant while a "Lady" was to be respected and treated with deference.

Though we have dropped the nonsense of serf/lord, it is still seen as polite to refer to a woman as a "Lady" because of the past meaning of the term.

Ladies is more proper like gentleman it implies that the person being referred to has class

• GiGi

Because the word "woman" implies age, I think, just like "girl" does, only they represent ages in opposite directions. But to me, "lady" implies class. So just call them "females" to encompass them all!

the word woman sounds to some people impolite. it's the same reason as why some people say jewish people instead of jews. or why we are told not to use the N-word.

It's better than being called a wrench or any other name that's degrading.

It's to be a little more polite.