? asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 decade ago

WHICH LINES IN THE POEM, "I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS" HAS PERSONIFICATION. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN?

I am having trouble locating personifications is the poem “I know why the caged bird sings” by Maya Angelou. Maybe I just don’t fully understand personifications… But I could really use some help.

For example, I don’t know if this would qualify as a personification.

“A free bird leaps on the back of the wind”

^Would this be a personification? I don’t think it would be because birds do leap.

Another example would be,

“For the caged bird sings of freedom”

^I’m not sure for this one because birds do sing, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is a human trait.

I could REALLY use someone’s help in locating all the lines with personifications in them because I’m really not understanding how to using this poem.

Thanks so much!

Favorite Answer

his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream

shadows don't shout! but people do

and the trade winds soft through the sighing trees

trees don't sigh! but once again us people do

"sighing trees"

"his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream"

These are personification. Many of the lines that describe the bird's actions could possibly be considered personification, but they are also actions that a bird could perform. So I'm not sure what to tell you about those. But the two above are definitely examples.

"sighing trees" is one. The others are only about the bird which are things that birds can do being animate life forms, or could be considered to be personifying humans, so it's rather confusing to me. For instance the speaker says from the bird's singing he can tell that the bird longs for something. But is that the speaker's projection or a possibility of the bird?

The personification is that she is attributing human emotions to the caged bird. Don't overthink it.

And maybe read the book?