Suan
Suan asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Ramadan: Has anyone read The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie?

I am organizing a book club in my neighborhood and now that we finally have enough people we're trying to decide which book we want to read. Someone recommended The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. I have heard of this book and knew that it was controversial but I didn't know that it made the Ayatollah Khomeini issue a fatwa calling Muslims to kill Rushdie :O !!

"In the Muslim community, however, the novel caused great controversy for what many Muslims believed were blasphemous references. The book was banned in India, burned in demonstrations in the United Kingdom, and was the subject of a violent riot in Pakistan. In February 1989, the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, Supreme Leader of Iran issued a fatwa calling on all good Muslims to kill or help kill Rushdie and his publishers.[3] Following the fatwa, Rushdie was put under police protection by the British government. As of early 2010 Rushdie has not been physically harmed, but 38 others have been killed in violence against those connected with the book.[4] Individual purchasers of the book have not been harmed." (Wikipedia)

So my question is, for the Muslims who have read it---how offensive really did you find this book? Does it say a lot of bad things about Islam that aren't true? I am almost 100% certain that I am the only Muslim in the group and I know for sure that one lady is Christian. So would this book be a good idea for our book club? Would it at least spark some good discussions (about religion perhaps)? Would it be awkward for me lol? I am thinking of vetoing the book but the other member said it's been on her list for a long time and I don't want to just reject it blindly. For those of you who read it, I'd like to know what you think. Thanks!

@use your brain - hmm perhaps, but it is one of the ways that i entertain myself. normally, i read FAR more non-fiction than fiction, so reading fiction is like a vacation for me :) fictions are also easier to read so it's more suitable for a book club. i'd just like to get to know some of my neighbors and have a good time :)

Favorite Answer

I haven't read it myself, although I did see this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7BjcLrck44

Youtube thumbnail

) about it some time ago. Yet, if you do not have the time to watch it yourself, Ahmad Deedat basically talks about the very crass and obscene nature of this book.

Now, what I have a problem with most is that the book's root title and underlying theme is completely based off of lies and unreliable accounts. And it is with that in mind that rushdie basically attempts to spin a story of vulgarity directed at us and our religion, while at the same time ridiculing and trying to throw doubt at the very nature and origins of both Islam and the Qur'an. With this in mind I would obviously advise that you veto this request and perhaps make another more scholarly or less controversial (and offensive) recommendation in its place, one that you may use to potentially open up dialogue as you'd mention (sorry nothing in particular comes to mind at the moment), and Insha Allah all will go well.

http://legacy.owensboro.kctcs.edu/crunyon/Eng262/0...

• Alea S

Yes. A looooong time ago.

It was poorly written and boring.

Unfortunately the media got hold of it and found out there were a few insulting references to Islam. The propaganda machine started working and a 'media-driven controversy' arose.

The book went from being a book that should have gone into file 13/should have been forgotten, to a book that earned the author tons of money and fame. Rushdie had actually written better books before this, but sorry to say these got over-shadowed by one of his 'lesser' works: The Satanic Verses.

The entire thing was probably a propaganda ploy and the Muslims fell into the trap, much like others before them have and will in the future. A scapegoat is always needed for those who need to make money with their war machines.

• ussery

The Satanic Verses Wiki

• Why do we need to read a book that insults the Prophet peace be upon him and his family? why do we need to read a book that is claimed by many critics not to be a good literary piece of writing in spite of the fame it got (because it insults Islam)?

Have you read Ahmed Deedat's book ["How Rushdie Fooled The West" :The Satanic Verses Unexpurgated]? If you are gonna read the first, then try to read the second too plz.

By the way, It is more than offensive for all Muslims without exception as it insults their messenger peace be upon him and his family. So do not waste ur time on that nonsense if ur a Muslim. As I said, even critics said that literally, it is not a good novel.

Source(s): The Holy Quran and the Prophet's Hadiths are My Best Teachers

I saw the book in the library in the late 80s, picked it up and read few pages briefly. I didn't understand the book as I was unfamiliar with Islam at the time. I didn't understand Islamic jargons either.

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie is no worse than some passages in the Hadiths which portray Mohammad as a child rapist and Murderer,

If you would kill Rushdie for exposing the satanic verses then you should also condemn Bckhari.

Question:

In setanic verses by salman rushdi, he talks about some ayat of Quran those were revealed in order to accept three of the most popular gods of the that time in mecca as to be superior or heavenly beings like angels or the god. Later on, those ayat were cancelled and it was said that those were not revealed through gibrail rather it was iblis(satan) who made up those ayat and the prophet(peace be upon him) at that time was not aware of it. How true is this? If there is some truth in this then please specify how much and I would appreciate a real story as to what really happened.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

This is based on a false report. Ibn Katheer and others said:

There is no saheeh isnaad from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning this report, which says that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “recited Soorat al-Najm to the mushrikeen until he reached the verses (interpretation of the meaning) ‘Have you then considered Al-Laat, and Al-‘Uzzaa (two idols of the pagan Arabs), And Manaat (another idol of the pagan Arabs), the other third?’ [al-Najm 53:19-20 – interpretation of the meaning]. Then the Shaytaan put words into the mouth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said: ‘they are the exalted gharaneeq, whose intercession is to be hoped for.’ The kuffaar were pleased with this praise of their three idols, so they prostrated.”

This report is undoubtedly false on a number of counts.

1.Its isnaad is very weak and is not saheeh.

2.The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was infallible with regard to the conveying of his Message.

3.Even if this report was saheeh, for argument’s sake, the scholars have stated that it is to be understood as meaning that the Shaytaan caused the kuffaar to hear these words, not that he put them in the mouth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so they heard them from him.

See Ibn Katheer’s refutation of this in his tafseer of Soorat al-Hajj 22:52.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Some years ago. It is a fiction, he portrays and implies undesirable characteristics on a person understood to be Mohammed.

Source(s): Somber 123

It was about time for a muslim to finally have the balls to say, the quran is the work of the devil.

i dont like waste my time to read fiction.