promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
iCollege asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Doesn't the religious right understand that teaching prayer in public schools isn't fair to non-christians?

I mean, if we just teach about the bible, wouldn't we have to teach about the Torah, the Vedas, the Koran, the Analects and anti-religion books as well? If we teach about one religion, is it not correct that we shouldn't exclude any others. I am religious, but our founding fathers separated church and state for a reason.

Update:

Well the bible doesn't always teach peace. The old testament says an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. And there are featured fights, such as David v Goliath

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

according to the religious right, the founding fathers only intended the first amendment to protect the various protestant denominations of christianity.

they do not believe the "free exercise" clause applies to anyone except themselves:

"With all due respect to those dear people, my friend, God Almighty does not hear the prayer of a Jew."

- Bailey Smith

"Yes, religion and politics do mix. America is a nation based on biblical principles. Christian values dominate our government. The test of those values is the Bible. Politicians who do not use the bible to guide their public and private lives do not belong in office."

- Beverly LaHaye (Concerned Women for America)

"The long-term goal of Christians in politics should be to gain exclusive control over the franchise. Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of God by submitting to His Church's public marks of the covenant–baptism and holy communion–must be denied citizenship."

- Gary North (Institute for Christian Economics)

"This is God's world, not Satan's. Christians are the lawful heirs, not non-Christians."

- Gary North (Institute for Christian Economics)

"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

- George Herbert Walker Bush, 41st President of the United States of America

"The Christian community has a golden opportunity to train an army of dedicated teachers who can invade the public school classrooms and use them to influence the nation for Christ."

- James Kennedy (Center for Reclaiming America)

"The [Supreme] Court, by seeking to equate Christianity with other religions, merely assaults the one faith. The Court in essence is assailing the true God by democratizing the Christian religion."

- John Whitehead (Rutherford Institute)

"Nobody has the right to worship on this planet any other God than Jehovah. And therefore the state does not have the responsibility to defend anybody's pseudo-right to worship an idol."

- Joseph Morecraft (Chalcedon Presbyterian Church)

and here's the kicker - talk about DELUSIONAL -

"Just like what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to the evangelical Christians. It's no different...More terrible than anything suffered by any minority in history."

- Pat Robertson

there's lots more where those came from.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jenny
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I don't think (many/most) Christians are saying that they want prayer or the Bible taught in schools. What we want is for children to be allowed to pray or read the Bible in schools. The constitution says nothing about separation of church and state. That is a myth that kind of evolved. It says that the government is not allowed to make laws restricting the exercise of religion, and that applies to more than Christianity.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The problem isn't that schools aren't teaching Christianity. That probably would be a problem. That part of the constitution was put in to protect both the government and Christianity. Historically, the church being the government morphs the church and gives the government too much power. The problem is that kids are sometimes prohibited from exercising their religions on their own in the public schools.

• "A"
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Well . . . the founding fathers learned their ABCs in a bible based manual. Church and state were separated more-so to keep the government from interfering in the church's business, not the other way around. They didn't want a puppet church, like the church of England. Besides, who educated our kids for the first 100+ years, church sponsored schools.

That being said, I don't know anyone that says we should teach kids religion specific prayers in public schools.

That being said (I've never used that twice in one post before), why should we favor fairness to the detriment of conviction. If we are a nation that stands for nothing, we are not one nation, indivisible -- under God or not.

• 1 decade ago

They separated state from church. Public schools don't "teach prayer" to begin with. Praying at school can be left up to the individual.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jen
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You are correct. Many Religious Right activists have attempted to rewrite history by asserting that the United States government derived from Christian foundations, that our Founding Fathers originally aimed for a Christian nation. This idea simply does not hold to the historical evidence. Although many secular and atheist groups fight for the wall of separation, this does not mean that they wish to lawfully eliminate religion from society. On the contrary, you will find no secular or atheist group attempting to ban Christianity, or any other religion from American society. Keeping religion separate allows atheists and religionists alike, to practice their belief systems, regardless how ridiculous they may seem, without government intervention.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They don't care because they consider everyone but themselves to be wrong and are still confused why they are not allowed to force everyone to pray to their personal God at gunpoint

Jenny> incorrect..First every kid DOES have the right to pray in school and have/read bible as long as it does not disrupt classes...same way you can pray outside but you cannot stand in middle of traffic to do so and cause a massive accident. It is School LED prayer that is banned because that would be a promotion of religion by the school...which is a government agency...hence the violation and the 1st amendment says govt cannt make laws respecting religion...meaning govt is to have hands off religion since govts ONLY job is to make+enforce laws that means it cannot touch religion in a positive OR negative way.

Now many religious people accept this and understand but those who want prayer in school are not interested in the kids being able to say "god help me with this test"

What they actually want is teacher walking up and down rows of students as they pray to ONE SPECIFIC God and forcing compliance with this Christian indoctrination.

Now some say "We want a moment of reflection" which is total crap....kids can do that during lunch or I dunno AT HOME ON THEIR PRIVATE TIME THAT MY TAXES DO NOT PAY FOR......if prayer is so important then why is it being pushed in school instead of at family home?

ruth> yeah your kids can do that and as for the teachers they should tread carefully because as govt agents they need to make sure they do not abuse their power...that is America 101.

Christians have plenty of say...stop this idiotic attitude like you are being held down..it makes you look foolish and evil. You are just pissed off you are forbidden to force me to pray your prayer to your God at gunpoint. You get your say just like everyone else but even if Christians are the majority (for now that is changing fast) you STILL must play by the rules of America or leave..that is how this SECULAR nation was founded

• 1 decade ago

Where did you get this idea that the religious right even wanted this? I taught my child how to pray and it isn't anyone else's job.

But if my child wants to pray at school, he should be free to do so. Also, there's teachers in these schools who are so afraid to reveal any part of who they are religiously, yet secular humanists and atheists feel free to spread their smutt daily.

You claim to be religious, but I think you're being indoctrinated by an ideology that isn't accurate when it comes to our freedoms in the US.

You talk about all these other religions, and they already have free access to our class-rooms via the disguise of cultural studies. I think most of us are saying, this is a majority Christian nation and we're sick of being told that we are the only ones who cannot speak freely in our schools.

• 1 decade ago

I am not religious but it needs to be taught like all things and other religions do get a look in just that in certain countries certain religions are more widely followed and therefore taught more..

However not teaching it atall is like not teaching physical education because the kids aren't sporty, it's all part of the core education and should be taught

Source(s): I go to school
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, it's not unfair. Just like it's not unfair to offer Spanish, German or French foreign languages but not Swahili or Korean. Religious infulences played a major part in our history.

• 1 decade ago

Prayer in school has been outlawed since the early 60's.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.