ATi FirePRO V 8200 vs. Ati HD 5970?

Which is better? Are both of these cards one of the same? Like how the ATi FirePRO M74820 is based on the HD 5870MR?

So I'm a engineering student (Aerospace):

My plan:

I'm wanting a laptop for a multipurpose reason. Be it entertainment, school, research (either school or independent) or gaming (as i might not take my PS3). So this is what I'm planning to do:

What I know I will be doing is 3D modeling, simulation, physics simulation, HE Physics (might take a double major), Quantum Mechanics, Data crunching, Algorithms, Programming (both High and Low Level), image/video analysis, conversion of natural algorithms (Image, Audio, Video into pure data), research/analysis maybe on the unknown/unseen/beyond (hard to explain ), being able to customize and create specialized functions, hacking/cracking/modifying, etc. Now i don't want any flame wars, but i wanted to do my own research, even though i know for a fact we might have to use the supercomputers and such for projects in university. So i believe some nice people here told me that just get a powerful cpu and gpu to handle your personal research but don't depend on it or something like that

Also these are the programs I plan to utilize in uni:

ABAQUS ADAMS Software

Adobe Acrobat ANSYS ASPEN HYSYS

ASTOS AUTOMATED DESIGN Backups and Creating CD-ROMS

C/C++ Carleton Site License Software CES4

Course NewsGroups Course Web Pages E-Mail

Femap FORTRAN Gas Turbine 9

GESOP Internet Securiety Lab Access

LABVIEW LINUX Loftsman

LS-DYNA MAPLE MATHCAD

Mathematica MATLAB MSC SOFTWARE

MS OFFICE Nastran, Patran, ... Printing

PTC Pro Engineer Rapid Prototyping Scanner

STK Tecplot Technical Support

Also i talked to some students and they did useAutoCAD, 3DS max and stuff as well!

So which GPU will most likely help me? Also is a core 2 quad Q8200 enough? or do I really really need to get a intel i7?

Favorite Answer

None of the applications listed are especially demanding from a graphical standpoint, so your selection for the GPU would have to be based on some other graphic intensive programs you plan to run on the same computer.

The multi-core option appeal is also limited by how many concurrent applications you will run, unless you develop multi-threaded or parallel algorithms.

Still, a general rule of thumb is that one should get the most powerful machine you can reasonably afford, if anything to future-proof your investment as much as possible.