Having trouble paying rental property mortgage, what should I do?

The rent that we get from the house is less than our mortgage payment. This is due to the taxes on property going up (higher mortgage payment) and someone who didn't pay their share (Sec. 8) of the rent and had to be evicted. Up until now we have been paying the mortgage, using the rent and money out of our... show more The rent that we get from the house is less than our mortgage payment. This is due to the taxes on property going up (higher mortgage payment) and someone who didn't pay their share (Sec. 8) of the rent and had to be evicted. Up until now we have been paying the mortgage, using the rent and money out of our personal savings accounts.

Now one of my tenants moved out, so it will be at least a 2 months or more before we get someone decent to rent to. In the meantime, I will only be getting 1/2 of my mortgage payment, and that account does not even have enough to cover one month.

My question is, do I not pay the mortgage until I find a tenant? Or do I put out $1600+ every month until I find a tenant (The mortgage is $3200). The new rent will cover the mortgage. If I stop paying, how much will this affect my credit? Also what are the other consequences. Logically, they will want all the back money owed?

I don't think we can sell because in order to do that one unit would have to be vacant and we still wouldn't have enough money to pay the mortgage until it sells. And the price we sell for may not even cover the mortgage. The bank refuses to help us because it is not our primary residence.

One more question...if we stop making payments for a few months, can the lender "do anything" to my primary residence which I own (with a mortgage)?
Update: RE Agents have been money hungry and are looking for a profit, although this does not matter to us. We tried selling and RE listed the house too high, and no offers for 10 months. This was 2 years ago when the market was OK. It takes me 2 months to find a tenant because I want good tenants. In the past, some of... show more RE Agents have been money hungry and are looking for a profit, although this does not matter to us. We tried selling and RE listed the house too high, and no offers for 10 months. This was 2 years ago when the market was OK.

It takes me 2 months to find a tenant because I want good tenants. In the past, some of the ones who have applied don't work, do not make enough money, have an army of children, etc. The house is not in the best area, so it is more difficult than usual to attract renters. Also, rent is $1700 for a 3 BR and not many people can afford that. THAT is why it takes 1-3 months.
Update 2: Craig, I do not qualify for modification because I do not live there.