Chances Of Being A Cop?

I just wanted to know what my chances of being a cop is. I have a black belt in karate, lots of community hours, good in school, willing to take a policing course in collage. The stuff I'm not so proud of is stole a $15 ipod dock and had tried weed once but did not inhale it just had it on my mouth and stopped. Did not buy the weed and that was the only time. Also never drank alcohol under the age limit. Please tell me if a have a good chance in a big police department. Please no stupid answers.

Favorite Answer

It sounds like you have a good chance. Like one person said, most departments will hire you with only a HS diploma. If you want to promote to a higher paid position such as a Sgt, most places require you to have a BA degree. As long as you are completely honest with the background investigator, you should not have any problems getting hired. You will have to pass a thorough background check including a polygraph examination and a psychological examination. You must also be physically fit for most academies since there is a lot of running involved. You should go on a ride along with the department you are interested with and see what police work is really like. It is long hours with a lot of paperwork. The benefits are you usually work 3 days a week and get a decent pay check. But, on some of your days off, you usually have to go to court. Hope this helps!

Source(s): officer

i'm sorry but i just have to laugh every time i read or hear about someone smoking pot without inhaling it.....

How on earth do you think you got the smoke to enter your mouth?

BY INHALING!! HAHAHA!!!!

now to be serious. Your chances are good if you can get past the interview process and tell the complete truth.

Some bigger departments require a 4 year degree but most just require diploma or GED

GL!

• ...

Most departments require a degree, preferably a bachelor's. Then you have to make it through interviews and testing (both physical and mental). Then they have to decide whether they want to hire you. After that you have to go through and pass an academy that is roughly six months.

Source(s): Live with cops

Absolutely yes. Don't lie about anything on the polygraph test.

most departments do NOT require a degree, they accept a HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA or GED

they'll take anyone, your chances sound good.

slim to none

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration..