Can somebody explain these bible verses and social stigmas about homosexuality to me?

Sorry about the length of the question, but this is a compound issue. I need real-world anonymous advice. So.. I'm...gay, and trying really hard to be a Christian, but it's getting kinda hard when every religious source tells me that i am going to hell for what i am naturally inclined to do. Leviticus 20:13, 18:22 [i think] and some other one (s) in Corinthians all say that gays are disadvantaged to life/god's love...I feel like, if there's a god that will create me in a way that he hates, why should i love a god that created a creature he hates? This and most other stigmas in society make me feel..so wrong...i hope and often try to convert my style of thinking to the alternative, and it's since proven impossible. I've been incredibly attracted to men and minimally attracted to women [like no rigidity in the pants area whatsoever] since i've known that sex existed. All of this is prolonging self acceptance. please help.

Best Answer

Do not give into them trying to make you into thinking that homosexuality is wrong.

It's been loosely said. But Leviticus was a holiness code written 3000 years ago by the Jewish for the JEWISH PRIESTS to follow to make them "unique" compared to other priests.

I read this in the internet the other day (cited below sources). The author spent over 50 years studying/preaching/teaching the bible. He also earned a master's and doctoral degree at a conservative biblical seminary who also studied Hebrew and Greek to understand what the bible was really saying.

Also, the word "abomination" was translated from Hebrew. Abomination in Hebrew is To'ebah. The Hebrew definition and the English definition of abomination is different. In Hebrew, it meant behaviors that the people found offensive. And to the Jews, abomination was not a law like stealing, killing, rape, etc etc like the Ten Commandments. In fact, it was common behavior done by non-Jews that the Jews thought would be displeasing to God.

I'm pretty confident it's in the new testaments, but both Jesus and Paul said that the laws of Leviticus do not apply to the Christian followers. In fact, anyone who studied the bible would learn that Jesus himself has not said anything about homosexuality, nor the Jewish Prophets.

People just search the bible and take in a verse that seems to support their prejudice and start quoting (or mostly, misquoting) it for the rest of their lives. I think it's time to spread the truth about this.

Source(s): http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bib... It has very good knowledge about it. I say read it when you get the chance.

The short answer is that Leviticus was written for a different people in a different time. Moses was trying to get the Hebrews to save up their sperm for making lots of babies so that the Hebrew tribe wouldn't be outnumbered by the other tribes (it was a dog-eat-dog world then). That may have been the real reason for circumcising their boys, so that if another tribe stole their sons (as they often did), they couldn't pass them off as their own.

As for Paul, he never met the physical Jesus, never heard Him preach, and never grasped the meaning or nature of His ministry. Jesus deliberately put aside all of the legalism of Judaism, and Paul put it all back! Jesus never mentioned any concern over homosexuality, but Paul seems to have been somewhat obsessed with it. Jesus preached love and inclusion and treating others well, and Paul was just a pompous windbag.

Forget the bible verses. Christians, real or otherwise, have ignored what they don't like and emphasized what they do for hundreds of years. The Bible means to you what it means to you. Everything else is nonsense.

(It is amazing how Christians tend to pound the table on "evils" that don't particularly apply to them and ignore the Biblical condemnation of evils that do apply to them. A very wise pastor of mine in my Christian youth once counseled me that the Biblical sin that most concerned him when he looked out on his congregation was gluttony, but he could never preach on it for fear of loosing his job)

You must decide for yourself what it means to be a good Christian and do that. I would suggest that you look for a church and a community that openly welcomes gay people. They exist and if your desire is to be a part of a real Christian community you need to be a part of such a community. Anything less will be some version of a personal torment. Completely unhealthy and unnecessary.

You may also join my club -- the atheists/agnostics/humanists. We tend to think all religions are more than a little self-righteousness and full of bs.

;-)

The answer is actually simpler than you might think. Leviticus doesn't apply to you. It was a book of laws written to govern the tribe of Levi (hence the name). The Levites were the religious officials or priests of ancient Israel. These laws were fulfilled and done away with through Christ and now are irrelevant to today's practice of christianity. In fact if you read through Leviticus in its entirety you'll discover all sorts of sins that you probably don't think twice about, things like eating shellfish.

I'll be happy to respond to the one in Corinthians if you'd like to provide me the verses.

Haha, you are not going to hell because you are gay. These homophobic christians are trying to make you hate God and make you hate yourself. There is NOTHING wrong with being a homosexual and the world is getting more and more gay friendly each day :)

Don't worry about all of that. You do what you want to do.

I agree with Master. God does not hate no one. He loves every single person he created. NO MATTER WHAT THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION IS.

• Percy

MVD is correct. The Christians who tell you that the Bible is against what you're doing conveniently ignore that the Bible is usually against what they're doing too.

Leviticus, for example, is filled with prescriptions that today we find ludicrous, such as saying that a menstruating woman is "unclean", even while it talks approvingly of slavery.

The New Testament, similarly, has many passages that the vast majority of Christians simply ignore today, such as Matthew 5:32 - 37.

"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."

Yet today we see many Christians getting divorces... and swearing on the Bible while giving testimony in them! The fact is that they are cherry-picking small verses out of the Bible which really don't have anything to do with homosexuality as we know it today.

Keep in mind that the idea that the Bible is God's word is utterly unsupported by anything in the Bible. People often try to quote 2 Timothy 3:

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

But note that this says "*all* Scripture", and specifically says that Timothy has known "the holy Scriptures" from infancy. Well this is fascinating, because Timothy is *Jewish*. The holy Scriptures Paul is talking about here is either the Old Testament or possibly simply ALL religious books. He is clearly not talking about his own letter, and it is certainly NOT the New Testament as we know it today, which would not be canonized until over three hundred years after Timothy's death.

In short, Christianity is much larger than picking little verses out of the Bible and insisting that they fit into your worldview. Take a longer view of things. The people who cherry-pick verses are, quite frankly, not very good Christians.

I'll finish up with a quote from John 7 (cut for length):

"Not until halfway through the Feast did Jesus go up to the temple courts and begin to teach. 15The Jews were amazed and asked, "How did this man get such learning without having studied?"

Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him. Has not Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law. ... Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

well, i am gay, and atheist (makes things easy)

make a choice buddy

(ya have three)

you are either

-going to hell (anyways) *NOT*

-making a less mean religion/joining an all accepting church

-or going to hell for 2 counts! being gay and not being christian.

dude, i feel you. Just do what you feel is right, but "god" is made up, so whether ya like it or not, if u du believe in him, u might as well make him YOUR god....

Source(s): being......gay.... *sigh*
  • Master

I am a Christian and I am straight. I have sinned before and I will sin again somehow in the future. God is forgiving and will embrace your love for Him

I used to be entrenched in all kinds of sexual sin including lesbianism. Jesus delivered me from evil spirits. God is holy and the bible is clear that nothing that is abomination will enter into heaven. The bible also says that God created you after his image in RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HOLINESS. We confuse his image with images of our SELVES. Look at his image in the bible in the face of Jesus Christ. Whoever comes to him he will not cast out. Keep looking at him with all your heart.

Buddy, this site may help you out

whosoever.org

gaychristian.org

Source(s): Bisexual and in LOVE with Christ and a firm believer in God who just so happens to really like SCIENCE as well :)