Is having computer components completely exposed bad for them?

I'm building a computer but instead of getting a case I'm gonna be mounting the entire thing to the underside of my desk. It's gonna be water cooled, I'm gonna get strip LED lighting and I think it'll look really cool. Will all the components being exposed be bad for them at all? Dust, improper airflow etc.?

Also, will everything run smoothly when mounted upside down? Hard drives and all?

Favorite Answer

Nope, seen people build them on a cardboard box. Antec actually has an exposed case that is a little different.

All up to you.

As far as case keeping dust off, my case is a damn dust magnet! I clean it out every few months and man does it collect the dust!

Oh, almost missed it... NO, PC components don't have problems with orientation. The only thing I can think of would be you wouldn't want to install an optical drive upside down for obvious reasons.

ADD:

That is cool, I actually seen a guy that built his PC under a glass destop with cool neon and a crazy florescent water cooling system. Looked pretty cool.

• Todd

Depends on the computer, lol. A guy that we frequently contracted for work on the NEC 2000 had a funny story. He worked once on a system that the people set up in a concrete basement. They had a flood (the basement locker completely filled with water). The phone system still worked even though their PBX was under water!

For a home system, yeah you're probably better off keeping a closed case with sufficient air movement. More importantly is not to have dust sitting around. Keep the workspace clean.

But in all honesty, I've run several computers for years wide open.

not really, but a case is closed for a few reasons from a specified air flow pattern to keep things cool to keeping dust off the componants as dust is an insulator and heat will accumulate faster on exposed parts and htus overheasting is more liekly.

however, i can find you at least 2 'cases' which are for testing and moding which are completely open... but they both still have fans which blow on the componants directly and you must still dust w/ compressed air.

Yes its bad. dust, improper airflow is definately bad.

HDD's upside down start making whirring noises after a while ;) thats real bad

Yes, dust and static are the number 1 killers of PC's......keep it clean. I suggest getting a "clear" bare-bone system...it'll still look cool

Edit: Nice affiliate links Biker.....Im sure no-one will notice

it should be fine as long you make sure you dont get dust on anything exposed such as an open wire.