Does insects feel pain when injured?

I had a butterfly get stuck in my windshield wiper, and when I pulled over to let get it out, I was devastated to see that it's lower body was crushed and one of it's lower wings was torn. It crawled on my hand and acted as if nothing was wrong, so although my initial thought was to just kill it and put it out of it's misery, I ended up putting it on a flower in the shade. It couldn't fly anymore with the shape it was in, but I figured it could enjoy it's last moments on Earth on a flower, which I know butterflies love. My question is, how could it still be alive with it's body crushed, and do insects/butterflies feel pain like we do? Do they have nerves?

• Boo
    Best Answer

Everything living (aside from plants and microorganisms obviously) have nerves, and so can feel pain.

It was probably still alive as it would have happened very recently. Since the majority of an insects organs are in its lower body (abdomen), the butterfly would have had very few minutes to live.

No. They do not feel the sense like we humans do. This is because we have a central nervous system running through our vertebra (backbone) which sends messages to our brain. This means that if if our leg is hurt, we feel the pain at the top brain. On the other hand, the insects are non-vertebra and they do not have central nervous system. Thus if an ant's leg is crushed, only the leg will feel local pain. Moreover, their pain magnitude is short, since they produce large number of off springs and their life is short. They can also reproduce their lost organs. It has been observed that if you cut a cockroach's head, it will die after a month due to starving. Scientists have cut a lobster's leg and feed him, which he ate. It is also true that except for human beings no other animal is aware of its existence.

Yes. If it didnt have nerves, it wouldnt be able to move.