Does insects feel pain when injured?

I had a butterfly get stuck in my windshield wiper, and when I pulled over to let get it out, I was devastated to see that it's lower body was crushed and one of it's lower wings was torn. It crawled on my hand and acted as if nothing was wrong, so although my initial thought was to just kill it and put it out of it's misery, I ended up putting it on a flower in the shade. It couldn't fly anymore with the shape it was in, but I figured it could enjoy it's last moments on Earth on a flower, which I know butterflies love. My question is, how could it still be alive with it's body crushed, and do insects/butterflies feel pain like we do? Do they have nerves?

Thank you Britt :)

Best Answer

Why are some of you getting offended and angry at this question? I wasn't aware that bugs could feel pain either because obviously they are not made up like humans and animals. They are bugs. I'm not saying it's ok to kill them, but my point is that they are insects, not humans and animals, so this is a completely logical question.

Elclinch - What was he supposed to do with it? He let it go, what would you have preferred he do? I don't think a vet will treat a butterfly. Jeez people.

Source(s): Just randomly browsing
  • Donna

No. They do not feel the sense like we humans do. This is because we have a central nervous system running through our vertebra (backbone) which sends messages to our brain. This means that if if our leg is hurt, we feel the pain at the top brain. On the other hand, the insects are non-vertebra and they do not have central nervous system. Thus if an ant's leg is crushed, only the leg will feel local pain. Moreover, their pain magnitude is short, since they produce large number of off springs and their life is short. They can also reproduce their lost organs. It has been observed that if you cut a cockroach's head, it will die after a month due to starving. Scientists have cut a lobster's leg and feed him, which he ate. It is also true that except for human beings no other animal is aware of its existence.

Butterflies feel and everything on their feet, and I'm pretty sure most insects can't feel. Grasshoppers are a good example

An insects nervous system is 15x more sensitive than a humans...I imagine the butterfly died a slow agonizing death.

Yes...DUH

they have blood and a body just like us

of course they feel pain

until an insect can learn how to speek to us im not sure how we could find out.

yeahh!!

thats just like asking does a dog feel pain! you obviously know they do.

all living things are capable of feeling pain :(

they have some nerve cells but they don't think and feel pain like we do.

they feel fear! when i see one i kill him, then place his head on my window to warn off his friends. works good too

All animals feel pain.