My work repeatily fails to pay overtime... Is there anything I can do; if its 20 min of OT or 8hrs?

I work in the state of Connecticut for a factory that employs over 250 people. Things that have made many changes do to the recession.

Some changes are, the 12 minutes after the"go home buzzer" you will not be paid for. And without permission you will not get paid for any OT. (Even if your busting your bum helping out the next shift, the way you were trained.) So they ADJUST your punch out to be right at shifts end rather than when you clocked out.

The bigger deal; leads me to when i work more than 25 to 30 minutes (1 to 4 hours usually) over; my work, at times "FORGETS" to pay me and or other workers.

Is there a way to enforce my work to pay for the 20 min or the full 8 hrs... and can i demand the OT pay within a day or 2? Are they allowed to adjust your clock-in or clock-out time?

I checked out STATE OF CT LABOR DEP. yet found nothing to help me... can you?

At my work Overtime consists of over 40 hours in a work week and/or more than 8 hours in the day. So the understanding is there.... just where can i get the proof of clocking-in/ out when everything is computerized now-a-days.

Favorite Answer

Hi! I am a Payroll / HR / Time & Attendance Consultant and I understand your concerns. Unfortunately, it sounds like your company trying to reduce labor costs a bit, due to the current economic climate, as they are fully allowed to do.

First, just because your time & attendance system is computerized, it doesn't mean there are no records of your time cards, in fact, just the opposite. I work with the Kronos (ADP) systems and I know that a supervisor, manager, or payroll person can print out your time sheets which should also show any edits made to them.

Second, if OT is only paid with supervisor approval, then that is the policy and you have to abide by it or you will be in the wrong (which could affect your rights if you got hurt during this time). I know it sounds crazy when you are just trying to do a good job and get the work done, but believe it or not, martyrs are a dime a dozen in the company's eyes, even if you are the only one who knows how to make a specific product or run a machine.

Third, your only serious concern here is where your supervisor "forgets" that he authorized specific OT. Your only recourse is to keep track of the "who, what, when, where, and why" of the incidents and make sure coworkers can back you up. That is the only way you are going to have any kind of case. If your boss asks you to work overtime, go over to him when he is talking with another worker and ask him to confirm the OT, preferably shortly before it starts as he can always say that he canceled it with you later. If this keeps up, I would definitely call the CT Dept of Labor - their contact info should be on a placard in the cafeteria, break room, or meeting room as well as on the CT state government website. Good Luck!

Source(s): Personal Experience

Most of what you describe are pretty shady practices. Pretty much illegal. The main solution I would suggest is contacting the labor department IN PERSON - you aren't going to be able to accomplish anything by looking at an internet site. You can also write a letter to the state's district attorney.

------------------

Do you really understand how overtime works? It's not cool that your company is not recording your hours properly. But you are only eligible for overtime if you work over 40 hours in a workweek. An extra 25 minutes on a given day is NOT necessarily overtime unless it puts you over the 40 hour threshold.