TEENS/YOUNG ADULTS: Favorite classic book?

I need to work on my summer reading list for AP English and I'm not a big fan of the sort of books they expect you to read. What are some of your favorite "classic" or "mature" books? Ex: We're reading The Glass Castle for AP english and I really like Anna Karenina.

• Best Answer

Great Expectations.................Charles Dickens

That was a wonderful Classic Book, in my opinion. :)

http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/greatexpe... says:

This may be one of the most impressive books I have ever read. It tells the story of a young boy who becomes a man; it shows our Pip (his name) as he truly was. I mean, the author never justified his behaviour, not even when he was weak and offensive. Pip is not a hero, he is just human being. He is not a criminal either, you can say he didn't do anything extraordinary such as save the world nor invent the light bulb. In change, he grew in compassion and gratitude. With him we learn the "worst sides of the human nature"; he loses his fortune, but at the end he accomplishes his "Great Expectations".--Submitted by Anonymous

Source(s): Teen: 19 :)

Every once in a while I like to pick up a good teen/young adult book. It's been a while but these were ones I read a while back and they were pretty good. Try A Great and Terrible Beauty series by Libba Bray. It doesn't have vampires but it does have mythical creatures. It's pretty good and I was reading them while I read the Twilight series and enjoyed them much more. Also try books by Sarah Dessen. She does young adult books. The characters usually have problems but they find a way to overcome and find something they looking for...ie like love. You can also read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. It did come out as a movie which I didn't see but the book is good. You can check out the websites for these authors they usually give you a list of other YA authors too. Or you can try the public library, that's where I found most of these books. Good Luck!!!

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (amazing book!)

The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne (read it for AP Eng. summer work awhile ago)

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

All these books actually kept me awake and were quite interesting.

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. Last year i had an insane english teacher and all she liked were Agatha Christie books. Any old mystery books might work. That or like the Divinchi Code

Source(s): english teachers hate me
  • Gaby

Jane Eyre

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

The book of Claudia by Rose Franken. But just letting you know you are going way back with that. It was written in 1940. I am 24 and I loved it.

Source(s): Own it.

Believe it or not, but I really enjoyed Lord of the Flies. I thought it was a fantastic book!

1984 by George Orwell is my favorite book ever

Night by Elie Wiesel

The Dentist of Auschwitz, i forgot the author, but it was a GREAT book. i loved it.