Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 10 years ago

Is paxil (paroxetine) safer than prozac (fluoxetine)?

I heard prozac was the safest of all anti-depressants but they other day I switched from prozac to paxil and expected the effects to be stronger and I heard paxil was notorious for withdrawal symptoms but I found prozac much stronger.

Prozac gave me a feeling not dissimilar to ecstasy whereas paxil has almost no effect at all on me, also prozac made me grind my teeth and gave me a somewhat euphoric like feeling but I thought paxil was supposed to be stronger and more addictive, should I be feeling something of this new drug or not?

Favorite Answer

Firstly I don't completely understand exactly what you are asking. Why did you switch from Prozac to Paxil? Are you doing better on the Paxil?

One thing that is very important to understand is that Prozac, Paxil, and other antidepressants are NOT addictive. This is an absolute categorical, proven FACT. It is true that antidepressants, especially Paxil, can have "withdrawal-like" symptoms but that is not addiction. The reason withdrawal (technically known as SSRI discontinuation syndrome) occurs is that the body has adapted to having the Paxil (or any other antidepressant) and if it is abruptly stopped the body can't respond/adapt fast enough thus withdrawal symptoms occur. Addiction is psychological dependance, a chronic, neurobiologic disease influenced by genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors. A person is addicted if they continue to use a substance even if severe negative consequences occur from use. For example if a guy drives drunk and gets a DWI and he keeps binge drinking and he get into more accidents and he still does not stop drinking that is classic addiction (a loss of control). Some drugs like marijuana and amphetamines do NOT cause physical dependence but people can become addicted. And many drugs (corticosteroids, beta-blockers, nasal sprays like oxymetazoline) cause physical dependence but are not addictive.

For the most part it is hard to compare two drugs to figure out which is "stronger" however Paxil is more potent and is one of the most specific selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. So I guess you could call it "stronger" but how people respond is highly individualized- some find that Paxil does not help but they do well on Prozac. Antidepressants are not like opioid narcotics where you can say with certainty that morphine is stronger (ie more potent) than Demerol but weaker than hydromorphone.

Also antidepressants should not make you feel high, euphoric, or have effects similar to ecstasy. Very rarely people do feel somewhat euphoric from antidepressants but it is all but unheard of. It may be that you feel almost euphoric because you feel better but it is not a true euphoria. It is also possible you are having symptoms of mania- something antidepressants can cause. But generally speaking antidepressants should help your anxiety and/or depression and aside from noticing that you are doing better you should not feel anything.

The best thing to do is talk to your doctor is you have questions or to talk about medication options. If you are having little or no problems on the Paxil and it is helping there is no need to change. However if you do prefere the Prozac talk with your doctor and ask him about ways to manage the bruxism (grinding your teeth, clenching jaw) if that was a significant problem.

If your problem is anxiety then typically Prozac is not the best. Prozac is approved to treat major depressive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder.

Paxil, on the other hand, is approved to treat major depressive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder with/without agoraphobia, social anxiety disorders, generalised anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Paxil is actually the only SSRI approved to treat ALL of the anxiety disorders and it also treats depression. But unfortunately the chance of having discontinuation syndrome from Paxil is 35%, higher than any other SSRI. Discontinuation also tends to be more severe and Paxil commonly causes some weight gain. Typically I would almost never use Paxil as a first choice medication but in people with severe anxiety, often with multiple anxiety disorders, Paxil is generally extremely effective.

Lastly Prozac is not really the safest. Granted it has been around longer than other SSRI's but that does not necessarily mean it is safe. The fact it is older simply means we have a better understanding of risks- especially any long term risks. Antidepressants like Imipramine are much older and better tested than Prozac but there is no doubt that Prozac and Paxil are certainly safer then imipramine. Most studies have shown that the drugs with the fewest side effects and the lowest risk of discontinuation syndrome are Lexapro/Cipralex (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertraline), Effexor XR (venlafaxine extended-release).

Source(s): M.D., C.M. psychiatry, internal medicine (Québec) Hons. BSc in pharmacology

Prozac Vs Paxil

Paxil Vs Prozac

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Prozac gave me a feeling not dissimilar to ecstasy whereas...

Source(s): paxil paroxetine safer prozac fluoxetine: https://shortly.im/LXLgw

How should I take fluoxetine?

Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.

Do not crush, chew, break, or open a delayed-release capsule. Swallow it whole.

Measure liquid medicine with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.

It may take up to 4 weeks before your symptoms improve. Keep using the medication as directed and tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve.

Do not stop using fluoxetine suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to safely stop using fluoxetine.

To treat premenstrual dysphoric disorder, the usual dose of fluoxetine is once daily while you are having your period, or 14 days before you expect your period to start. Follow your doctor's instructions.

Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

Prozac Online => http://prozac1.out2.pw/2nu9y

prozac has been around the longest and so most is known about it and more people have taken it than any other SSRI. Therefore, it is regardedto be the safest. Paroxitine has short half life and if you miss a dose you will notice it. I never use it, its also hard to get off. So all i all I would use prozac out of the 2

Source(s): MD

I have taken Paxil for years and have never had big problems discontinuing it. I did get some electric brain shocks, but if you know they will be coming, and are prepared, it is not so scary. I went on and off Paxil a number of times hoping to be able to drop it, but found it was necessary to control my depression. It has been an excellent SSRI for me and also my step-dad. Yes, it does effect your sexual responses, but the good it has done for me, far out-weigh the side effects. Never gained weight on it either.

• Mary

When I hit 43 Prozac stopped working for me. I then switched to Effexor but that hasn't helped either. I never went through "brain zaps" with either one.

Different people react differently to one SSRI over another. I have tried 7 different ones before finding the one that works best for me. Safer is not really an issue because they are all safe. It is all about what one works best for your metabolism and situation.

prozac is more well known in the medical field

I would use it rather than the other