Can my mom force me (I'm 14) to be committed into a psych ward?

I'm planning to tell my mom the whole story behind me cutting myself. I'm going to tell her why I do it and how it helps. (she already knows I used to do it. I stopped for 9 months now) I will also tell her that the urges are getting a little out of hand and I am contemplating cutting almost all the time now. She threatened sending me to mental hospitals before and has actually succeeded in doing so when I wanted to end my life but that was a year ago and now I don't want to die I just want to cut. She said I should get committed when I had weaker urges before, and now that I'm afraid of losing control I am almost certain (98% sure) that will at least suggest this.So I was wondering can my mom force me to go to a psych ward or do I have a choice? By the way I'm telling her at my therapists office so if she agrees will I be more likely to be forced into a hospital?

Favorite Answer

I'm very pleased that you are telling her this! it's very brav eof you and will be the first step on the road to recovery. You can be sectioned for self harm. But it depends if the self-harm is so severe that you are at risk of killing yourself by doing so.

The most commnly used sections are section 2 and section 3, but it needs approval from two psychiatrists and your parents permition. I suggest that you don't get sectioned and go in voluntarily, because that way you will have more choice over your treatment and when you leave. Also, if you are sectioned you cannot joined the armed forces or immergrate and things like that. Take care xxx

Source(s): i have been sectioned. i'm 16.

Yes. But it sounds like you need to go. It could be your best option. im 33 and havent cut in about two years, but started at the age of 19. I have no urge to do it at all now, and regret having done it in the past. So many ugly scars on my body because of this. Think about what you do before you do it. Those scars are forever, and one day if you have children, it hurts to answer the question....whats that scar from. Kinda makes you feel like an idiot from having done it. Get some help its better in the long run

Source(s): Self cutter of 14 yrs

Yes a Dr. can commit you if he feels you are a threat to yourself I am not sure about Virginia but in Texas it is 30 days Okay so I looked at this site and I am pretty sure the answer to your question is yes. The thing you need to figure out is why you are cutting yourself. What is going on when you do this? If your therapist isn't helping you then fire them and find another one. It is so easy to be misdiagnosed and get the wrong medication. Sometimes you need to talk to your primary care physician. then have them help you find a therapist who can help you

Yes, if it was necessary. But they won't do that. They will offer you counseling instead.

• Harry

she could till your 18

but it might do you good

Yes she can.