Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 10 years ago

Tories plan to move the unemployed to areas with more jobs?

Tory minister Iain Duncan Smith last night announced a controversial plan to move the unemployed to areas of the country where there are more jobs.

The Work and Pensions Secretary said jobless workers could be forced to move hundreds of miles away from their homes.

His comments echo former Tory minister Norman Tebbit who in 1981 said the unemployed should "get on your bike" and look for work.

Former Tory leader Duncan Smith insisted it was the only way to help millions of people "trapped in estates where there is no work".

Opinions please on this latest piece of lunacy from the government

Update:

Lady Penelope. The idea is lunacy because it simply will not work. The government should be encouraging jobs to areas of high unemployment instead of reducing the amount of money it gives to Development Agencies such as 1 North East. I am not a fan of Quangos but the ones that actually do make a difference by bringing jobs to the people must be kept going.

Students move away to go to Uni as it is part of the fun and learning curve and gives them a chance to develop as individual without parental interference. It teaches them independence and experience of real life away from the family nest.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Complete lunacy as you say.

Will they be trying the same tactic as last time?

Telling people there's loads of jobs, when it was made law, regardless of a position being filled from within the company or the vacancy not actually existing & outsourced it still HAD TO BE ADVERTISED!

Thatcher standing there at the conservative party conference podium to cheers of support saying

" there are jobs, the papers are full of jobs ".

I carried around a briefcase of rejection letters ( when you actually used to get a

letter ) at the most I had over a hundred.

The job centre staff were under siege & plastic screens appeared, no wonder.

We were conned then & I can see us being conned again.

• Login to reply the answers
  • During the bad old days of really high unemployment a great many of us moved all over the world to work, the real problem is that these people do not want to leave their secure accommodation ei. council housing, as it stands there is no incentive for them to try some upward mobility.

I am not a Tory supporter but something has got to be done to put an end to 'sink estate' mentality.

• 3 years ago

properly, historical past shows that's what human beings do. As Britain became industrialized and did away with till now rules offering for land as "commons," as a result privatizing all land and property, people who could desire to not farm moved to the cities, which became filthy, lacking appropriate sanitation structures. In different international places at present (e.g., Mexico, China), human beings flow into the cities for production facility jobs; now and back, as interior the case of the Philippines (and Mexico), human beings flow out of the *usa* for jobs.

• 10 years ago

So, what? There are NO jobs here in Manchester so I should move to somewhere like Birmingham in the hope of getting a job whilst also assuming that the vacancies in Birmingham cannot be filled by the people who are already living there?

Source(s): Has he lost his mind.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Kick out the cheap foreign labour, pay decent wages and problem solved. I can see the leafy suburbs welcoming some of the scallies from where I live.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Unfair and unjust. The tories keep going on about broken britan and broken families. This latest policy will break up family links and ties.

• 10 years ago

That will really be exciting. Force the people to move & if they don't then put them in jail..

P

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Why lunacy?

If one is young, single,and unemployed, what more exciting adventure than to move to another area where there is work?

Surely thousands of young people every year move hundreds of km from home to go to university - is this lunacy?

• 10 years ago

REVIVED TORIES,SAME OLD SH*T,blame the people who never voted you in

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.