Culturally Speaking: Do you think that good grades in high school determine success in life?

Valedictorians and Salutatorians, honor graduates and star students. Do you think that students who make the best grades in high school will always go on to do great things in life, earn the six figure income and live a good life? (in terms of money and material possessions)

• Bomfy
    Favorite Answer

Not necessarily, but it doesn't really hurt to start off on that route.

This is an extreme example but, long ago (2005) I sold a Viper to a guy who dropped out of high school at 16. He 30 years later owned his construction company and numerous apartments. He was makes upwards of $60,000 per month (a tad under $750,000 a year). He fully had admitted to having the perfect life, but he semi regrets not at least getting an associates degree.

Then I know a 2 people people with doctorates who had been the valedictorians in high school, one went to Brown and the other Stanford (that one totally for free off academics). One teaches junior high and the other no joke, works at the post office.

Long story short, you have to have the drive to succeed. School is far different from the real world in relation to success, some excel in one and don't do well in the other.

Good grades in high school does not determine success in life. College grades are a major determining factor for success in the career field you choose more than ever. Plus, I've known people who often didn't get the best grades in high school and while in college, they did extremely well.

Sometimes, high school may seem uninteresting and not challenging enough and many people often go through different personal dilemmas in high school that can effect their overall performance. In college, you're there because you want to be there and it's up to you how you make of it. I hope this helps.

Book smarts are a big plus, especially if they are used in an academic context to further advanced studies. However, a number of other factors have to come into play to result in success, such as street smarts, personality, drive, etc.

Being the smartest kid in class gives a confidence boost, and that is a positive step towards high self-esteem, but the book smarts alone won't guarantee that 6-figure future.

Not always but educational success means you have increased the odds of having a good life.

Six figures is exaggerating and a divorce or health problems could make that good life a challenge.

I don't measure success though as you do.

I think it has a great deal to do with it. Most people who graduate at the top of their class go on to universities, get degrees and in turn have high paying careers. Of course this isnt ALWAYS true.

Generally speaking, yes.

Not in all cases of course, but if I could ever take back all the times I said "I'll never use this in real life - I don't need to learn it," I certainly would.

Some have success without the grounding that education brings, but, these are the exceptions. Generally, the better you do in school, the better you will do in life.

It could, but it's not always a direct factor of the amount of success one will have in his/her life. Although a lot of the times it does. Some people have great potential, but fail to use it.

I think it does for some. I know a guy who always had the best grades in our grade and he's now a Doctor. Another guy had terrible grades and he is in corporate accounting...then again some delinquent kid with bad grades is now in jail.

Depends on the High school and who the teachers were. I would say usually.

• Tom

i know a guy who's 46 real smart gradated college, but his apartment is pathetic, and my friends dad came from Armenia when he was 17 and he just finished paying for a McMansion XD