Does Cardiomyopathy always lead to Heart Failure?

Some background. I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy 2 months ago, along with LVSD (Left ventricular systolic dysfunction). My ejection fraction (EF) was estimated at 25%-30%, more towards the 30% range. I've been on medication since then. They are not sure why i have this, as i am only 22 years old. They suspect it was a virus. I also have frequent PVC's all day every day, at a rate of 15-20% of total beats. I have had NO symptoms of heart failure, such as fluid retention. The doctor says I don't have heart failure (yet). My question is does cardiomyopathy always lead to heart failure? Or can i with the help of medication slowly recover my ejection fraction back to a fairly normal state and avoid heart failure? I've heard it could go either way, better or worse, or could even stay the same. I'm just wondering if Cardiomyopathy without heart failure is easier to improve and recover from?

• Askme
    Favorite Answer

Based on your account, it is obvious that you have you have dilated cardiomyopathy. Unfortunately, dilated cardiomypathy eventually leads to heart failure. When, is decided by the progression of EF.

The left ventricular ejection fraction is a good reflection of the amount of damage the left ventricle has sustained, and to some degree is a reflection of the prognosis in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy.When first diagnosed, most patients with dilated cardiomyopathy have LVEFs in a wide range, anywhere between 10% and 40%. In general, the lower the LVEF, the worse the prognosis.

Classically the clinical pattern of a patient with dilated cardiomyopathy is characterized by episodes of severe heart failure that lead to hospitalization, followed by relatively long periods of “baseline” symptoms(breathlessness only on exertion).

The cause for concern right now are PVCs, any one of which can trigger troublesome irregular heart beats such as V-tach. Therefore you may need implantable defibrillator.

The Good News:

In just the past few years, new therapies (particularly the use of beta blockers and ACE inhibitors) have significantly improved the clinical course of many patients with cardiomyopathy.

Source(s): An Internist

Unless the person who answers this question for you is a cardiologist or a patient with the same symptoms as you......I don't think you will get the answer you want or need. I think you would be better off checking back with your doctors or get a second opinion or third opinion with different cardiologists. Sometimes you'll come up with a better answer if you do your own research on medical websites such as The Mayo Clinic or medical schools around the country. Best of luck and hope you are able to recover fully.