Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

my bank of america debit card didnt work in a japan atm...?

today i went to a mall and went to the atm in japan.

i have a bank of america visa debit card and put it in the atm.

i tried to take out money, but was unsuccessful, and atm gave me a message unable to perform transaction and to contact the bank that gave me my card. i could not see how much i had in my account as well.

now i was informed that visa should work on atms in japan, so i was surprised. im now in need of that money in my account. what do i do?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

International Cards only work at ATMs that accept international cards. Not all ATMs accept them.

Bank of America Cards and other international cards will work at these ATMs:

1. Citibank ATM

2. Post Office ATM/JAPAN POST BANK ATMs

3. *Shinsei Bank ATM

4. 7-11 Convenience Store ATMs (10,000 yen increments)

*Shinsei Bank works with Bank of America Cards, however other international cards might/might not work.

Also remember Bank of America cards have a daily withdrawal limit (max you can take out each day) so check with the bank.

Source(s): I have a BofA Debit Visa card and have 100% confirmed they will work at those ATMs. You can not however check your balance at the ATM, do that online at http://www.bankofamerica.com
  • 4 years ago

Bank Of America Japan Atm

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

As you said, what the f is wrong? The bank card tied to my U.S. bank is supposed to work at all the post offices, but guess what? That's right, doesn't work. Theory/idea versus reality. Now I wouldn't get all angry at the Bank of America off the bat. I use a different bank and it doesn't work either. Get upset with the Japanese. It's what I do. Sounds like it is their fault, not your bank's. But either way, you are basically up the creek without a paddle. You might try to go to a bank and see what can be done. You do speak Japanese well enough to get your problem explained, right? If not, it goes back to being up the creek without a paddle. The only thing I can think of is to actually call your bank and explain the problems you are having. I'm not giving that much hope though, but it is the only thing I can think of. I mean, the lady already told you that there wouldn't be a problem. But now that means you can blame the U.S. lady and the Japanese to take your frustrations out on. Do you have anybody you know that can go to a bank with you and explain your problem? I've had similar problems with my U.S. based credit card not going through, but when push came to shove, they made a phone call and they used the old type impression thing to take my card. I hate to say this, but going to a foreign country without traveler's checks is a very, very bad idea. As you have now learned. Next time, okay? NOTE: You've at least learned something. Traveler's checks. They work every time. Additional note: I feel sorry for you, I really do. I've gone through the same kind of thing, but always had a fallback of a Japanese based credit card. Things just don't work out sometimes and you, my friend, are getting first-hand experience of that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You said it has the VISA logo, but most ATMs will not accept foreign cards. The only one that accepts my debit card is 7-11 ATMs. Family Mart and Lawson only take Japanese bank cards. So try going to a 7-11. Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Bank of America cards will work at the Japanese post office ATMs. You can find them all over Japan. They have a green logo that you can notice easily. Here is the website to explain it:

http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/ias/en_ias_inde...

Source(s): Lives in Tokyo.
  • 4 years ago

Possibly, but I'm not fully convinced

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I'm curious too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.