Do SSD drives really improve performance that much?

My Windows 7 Experience scores

7.6 CPU - Core i7 870 CPU @ 2.93 ghz (3.55 ghz)

7.6 Memory - 8 GB DDR3 Gskill RAM @ 1600 mhz (1480 mhz)

7.7 Graphics - ATI Sapphire 5850 Radeon video card 1 GB DDR5

7.7 Gaming Graphics

5.9 Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5 TB 7200 rpm 64 mb cache

Would an SSD give a noticeable difference or is it just a waste of money until they go down in price?

Lol, well yeah 1.5 TB SSD drives aren't even available yet. I was just considering an Intel 80 GB one as a primary drive since the read/write speeds on a lot of the other brands are rather unimpressive compared to the 120mbs read/write average I get with mine now

Favorite Answer

First, be sure you understand you are not getting a 1.5TB SSD drive.

A 512gb SSD drive will run you at least $1200

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=FTM12G225H&c...

and that's for the cheapest one out there.

Will it give you a noticeable difference? It will reduce battery consumption in a laptop. Access time is also notably faster... to an order of about 100. The typical access time for a Flash based SSD is about 35 - 100 micro-seconds, whereas that of a rotating disk is around 5,000 - 10,000 micro-seconds. They are also more durable, and operate better in more extreme temperature conditions.

So will you notice it? Absolutely. The question is not whether or not you will notice it. The question is whether or not you can afford it.

end of line

maximum actually. because of fact of this the recent Macbook professional w/Retina reflects basically comprise SSD drives. same with Dell's good of the line XPS 12. devoid of moving factors the SSD are extra stable and have lots extra suited overall performance. a conventional pc commonly takes some minute besides, yet with an SSD force it may take as low as 14 seconds, and staring on the device even decrease than that i'm specific.

From what I've heard HDDs will cap out at 5.9 on the performance score, while they reserve 6.0+ purely for SSDs. So that's probably why you're seeing that.

Now obviously you won't see any visual performance or FPS differences from buying an SSD, but you should see a noticeable difference in loading times and read/write speeds. I can't really comment on if they are worth buying right now though, seeing as that is really a matter of personal opinion, but if you aren't hurting on the cash to drop for one, I'd say go for it.

Source(s): I build PCs

yes MOST SSD do improve performance as u have seen in the Windows 7 experience scores that the tradition HDD is the weakest link of a computer

SSD does not use a spinning disk to store data instead it uses micro-chip to store data thus it improves performance and also make ur data safer

but however the speed of SSD can be wreck down thus DO NT de-frag any SSD as it would destroy its speed

btw the fastest read/write speed of the fast HDD (WD velociraptor 6GB/s) is 200MB/s read and 170MB/s write while the average read/write of standard SSD is 230MB/s read and 200MB/s of write

which both speed trash the fastest HDD speeds thus SSD would be a better choice if ur budget allows

• deniz

Yes it does give a noticeable according to some video i watched of a guy loading wow on the ssd which took like 10-15 sec compared to without which took like 30-50.

You would see a noticeable difference, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the money. If you want speed, I recommend checking out the "Seagate Momentus". It's a hard drive that uses a bit of flash memory to make it faster. In my opinion, it's probably the best bang for your buck.

Source(s): Various Reviews

how much disk access do you preform on a regular basis? if your the average user its simply a luxury to have solid state drives, wait till they come down in price.

If by noticeable you mean "I'm too stupid to look at the many, MANY reviews and comparisons of SSD and HDD solutions and the fierce testing they've both undergone with many, MANY charts showing SSD's supremacy", then yes. It is noticeable.