KPM asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 10 years ago

Why is Elvis accused of stealing his music.?

Why is there so much misunderstanding about Elvis Presley having stolen from black music-he blended pop, country, gospel and blues-but is always accused of stealing. All artists are ":influenced by others" including black artists.

Favorite Answer

I dont understand why people said he was stealing ????? I just dont get it ?? All he did was sing a style of music!! He helped popularise black music. He always had black back up singers when most of the other white singers at the time would never have done this. He was definately not a racist and he grew up with black people. He grew up listening to black music and singing gospel music. Many people sing certain styles in music but you cant say they are stealing it just because they are singing a specific style.

I totally agree with you, all artists are influenced by others and Elvis was influenced by black artists and he was one of the few white people that were open minded enough to sing in a mixture of styles that included black gospel and blues. I think all the people that accuse him of stealing are just haters and they will make up any pathetic excuse to drag his name down. Elvis was one of the greatest singers/entertainers to ever live and he will never be forgotten.

XxX

Because people are stupid and/or ignorant. How do you "steal" a song or music? Elvis never took a song someone else wrote and claimed to write it himself. He covered some songs originally by black artists, but if that counts as "stealing," everyone in the music business is a thief...

I read and heard from other people that the man that wrote most of Elvis Presley's songs was a black man named Otis Blackwell. Otis died without a penny to his name. In my opinion think that is why people say he stole music.

Well I for one have the upmost respect for the King of Rock n Roll, but the truth is the truth, and the truth is that he actualy did steal music from the black community songs.

If you listen deeply into some of his songs, his grestest hits, you can easily tell that they came from the black community, which is considered stealing since for 1) his songwriters werent black 2) he never gave credit to black people and 3)He was supposed to be a country/rock n roll singer, and not a rhythm and blues one, but it is what it is.....

BECAUSE HE DID STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

HE STOLE IT!!!