A question about vitamin D deficiency?

A doctor told me that the body uses cholesterol and sun light to make vitamin D.

He said,that a lot of people are having vitamin D deficiency's these days.

My Mom had it.

I ask if the cholesterol lowering drugs she was on may have caused it.

He said,I don't know,I never thought of that.

What do you think?

Humans have always eaten meat. your body requires it. It has all the proteins and vitamins you need to stay healthy, when combined properly with a balanced diet of at least 2 vegetables, something from fruit or a fruit itself, and a staple food, like rice, pasta, or bread. The idea is NOT to make yourself deficient on one thing or another, and eat them in a balanced daily intake sort of way. You should also do regular exercise. OF COURSE you should spend some time in the sun. Anyone with an open mind knows that vitamin D comes from the sun. If you keep anything out of the sun for too long, it will get sick, unless it is a mushroom. When I was a kid, back in the 70's, we were taught about "Canada's food rules", which were all about keeping a balanced diet. New fads have always arisen, with silly diet or health gurus trying to sell their idiotic ideas, at the expense of the gullible. Trust in balances. Too much or too little of anything can be detrimental to your health.

Well, there are two different types of cholesterol, good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. The body uses the good cholesterol to produce Vitamin D, not the bad. The medications are supposed to lower the bad cholesterol in your body. It's recommended that you get at least 1/2 hour of sunlight daily to help your body produce Vitamin D. Did your mom get at least that much sunlight a day? If not, then that's probably the more likely cause. However, it could be possible that the medication did it as well, it's hard to know for sure without enough medical study to prove this.

no. it is caused by deficient diet and not enough sunlight for the production through the skin. women in the middle east have the highest rate of osteoporosis due to vitamin D deficiency because they wrap themselves up from head to toe when they leave their house.

• dave

A very recent study showed that previously accepted values at which vitamin D levels were considered to be below that for optimum health, looked to be incorrect, especially for older women:

"Women with a seasonally adjusted 25(OH)D concentration <50 nmol/L were not at increased risk of adverse consequences for any musculoskeletal outcome, including fracture, falls, bone density, or grip strength or any nonskeletal outcomes, including death, myocardial infarction, cancer, heart failure, diabetes, or adverse changes in blood pressure, weight, body composition, cholesterol, or glucose."

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/91/1/82

Though there are indications that low levels of vitamin D are linked with strokes/heart attacks. I would think that cholesterol lowering drugs are designed to bring cholesterol levels down to what is considered normal, rather than lowering them excessively to the point that there's little left for conversion to vitamin D.

Edit: me too blue, I need a good laugh today :)

Edit2: ..and I wasn't disappointed! More of the usual NaturalNews stupidity: "A study shows......" then of course, no link to the study, just a list of (lets face it) invented rubbish. Sigh....it's like chinese whispers really, except you're starting with a lie and ending up with the unimaginably ridiculous.

There is definitely some evidence that statin drugs (cholesterol-lowering) have a detrimental effect on vit. D. accumulation. It may not be conclusive but I would at least be aware of the association.

• NA

any good pharmacist can tell you that drugs suck the life out of vitamins and minerals dearpharmacist.com

dave and others are troll

Source(s): x

well because your mom was on cholestrol LOWERING drugs , the deficientcy probably wasnt caused by that because to make vitamin D - you need sunlight and CHOLESTROL so if she was on drug to lower her cholestrol - it most likely wasnt because of that