Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

if someone likes the confederate flag, that doesn't necessarily mean their a racist does it?

don't get me wrong i paid attention in US history, but are there people from down south who view the confederate flag solely as a symbol or logo of the south and not like a white supremacist thing?

Pat i wasn't talking about myself, i'm from New York and i'm Black, i was just wondering about other people

lol Sage XD

Favorite Answer

No it doesn't mean that. Also disregard everything you learned about the civil war in history, the school board is extremely biased and leaves out important details like that the confederate constitution banned the importation of slaves, something the union never would have done due to rich Northerners exploiting the cheap raw materials harvested by slaves in the South. And that the CSA wanted to hold peace talks during the war but Lincoln refused. The saying that the victors always write history is true. They try and make it seem like the South are the "bad guys" and that the north were the "good guys" when in reality both were bad.

• .

No, it doesnt mean they are a racist.

And you should actually reread the civil war history stuff. The north had slaves too... they just called them indured servants and only owned them for 7 years while they "worked off" the cost of bringing them over, housing and feeding them. Sometimes indured servants were educated as well. Instead of working in a cotton field they were a buttler or a house keeper or a child minder. Still owned, still treated disrespectfully. Still the same racist situations.

The civil war erupted mostly over disagreements and differences about economy and state's rights. The south also made some changes in their constitution that were against slavery.

And in the South, to many people, the flag does not equal slavery or racism. On the other hand, to many other people in the South, it does, and many people are very offended by it. From my experience its not even a racial divide either, more of a socio-economic divide.

• Sage

Does it mean that they are a white supremacist...in my experience yes. But I am sure there are some people who do it because they love the south. But I will put it this way if I saw someone waving the confederate flag and i was lost I wouldn't ask them for directions.

• ?

No it doesn't. It's definitely a southern pride thing. I"m sure there are some white racists who wave the flag for their own reasons but the flag doesn't mean "I believe in slavery" like so many think.

The American Civil war was more complicated than pro-slavery and anti-slavery. The north was still very racist to blacks at the time.

Yes.

It does.

You are a racist.